whats plusher? hard spring+less compression or soft spring+more compression...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

whats plusher? hard spring+less compression or soft spring+more compression...

ive got a bike with a vivid coil.

with the softer coil, i need 4 clicks of compression. 33% sag.

if i put the harder spring, i run 1 click. 25% sag.

which spring would you run and why? this is a theoretical question in helping me make a decision which one i should do more testing with. bike park is far, wanna enjoy it as much as possible, and a field swap is inconvenient.

with a softer spring, i will blow through the travel on berms with 3 clicks. it feels great though at jogging speed a plowing through large rocks with 1 click of comp. ive only run the hard spring in local tests. cant hit bike park speeds locally, so no high speed experience with it.

ive got the mid and the high tune shim stack to play with. considering installing it to get more mid travel support but am wary it might cause more issues with spiking.
    Last edited by bing!; 06-04-2013 at 06:47 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Stronger spring, less compression. It's actually a balance of both. Too much compression and it will spike under high speed hits. Too much spring and you won't get full travel.

Personally, I don't mind sacrificing a little travel to get good mid support and control from a stronger spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    your comment is bringing together my own observations. i already felt some spiking with the softer spring and 4 clicks going over rocks. im going to go ahead and give the harder spring a go on my next trip. thanks.

mtbr member
    On the Vivid, the compression adjustment is low-speed only. I would crank that up all the way, especially for park riding to keep you up in the travel on berms and jumps. The mid vs low stack is a function of your rear suspension leverage ratio. Low leverage = low tune. 2.0-2.4 for L, 2.3-2.8 for M, 2.7-3.1 for H.

You should set your sag with your spring rate (weight) for coil. For park riding, I would shoot for 20-25%. Classic dh riding gets 30%.

Either way, crank up the LSC all the way. For hits, it may make the bike a bit spiky before it blows off but that should be rare. Back it off a click or two.

Report back...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I edited the original post a bit. its kinda hard typing up what I mean on a phone. thanks for the advise.

mtbr member
    Well, as long as you are driving...

What is the leverage ratio on your bike?

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Well, as long as you are driving...

What is the leverage ratio on your bike?

mk
    Can't get a direct answer on that one. I have seen charts showing the leverage ratio going from 3.55 to 1.75 towards the end. Wheel travel by stroke tells me its 2.66. However, the 951 is weird. It uses really high spring rates and the leverage curve is not normal.

I'm aiming for more mid travel support with less possibility of spiking.

Edit: going with the heavier spring for my next test session. Reason being 1) I'll let the coil do the heavy work and the damper to control it and 2) I'm blowing through the travel anyway, so sag will have little to do with my ability to use available travel.
    Last edited by bing!; 06-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.