What shocks for a SC Superlight for XC and trail riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

What shocks for a SC Superlight for XC and trail riding?

I am looking to upgrade my shocks on my 2007 Santa Cruz Superlight. I want a fork and rear shock. Right now I have a Fox Float R rear and a Fox 32 100 R front. My main problem is that it is just not enjoyable to climb. The bike does not have pro pedal or a lockout.

What would you all recommend? This is my first time upgrading any suspension so I am a newb at what to get. I know the fork can only go to 100mm and I was thinking about trying to find a RP23 for the rear shock. My budget is about $600.

Right now I am racing my singlespeed Gunnar, but I want to have a geared XC bike as well. I love the remote lockout on my SS and miss it a ton when riding the Superlight. With all the ups and downs here in Nevada the Superlight feels like a pig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It is gonna be hard to get both for the price you mentioned. More along the lines of 700-800$ for a system which lasts and offers the things you mentioned. A good rear damper is gonna run 300-400$ alone then looking at a good fork about 500+ and up.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Ehh, it can be done for $600. Look on the classifieds. RP23s can be picked up for 200-250 and forks for ~300-400.

I'd stick with the F100 though. You can't do much better in the 100mm range. You could get it Pushed (http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/i...product_id=29). That would be a worthy improvement.

Figure 165-200 for a rebuild on your fork and 200-250 for an RP23 and you're under your budget by ~$150.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sb.Reno
    I am looking to upgrade my shocks on my 2007 Santa Cruz Superlight. I want a fork and rear shock. Right now I have a Fox Float R rear and a Fox 32 100 R front. My main problem is that it is just not enjoyable to climb. The bike does not have pro pedal or a lockout.

What would you all recommend? This is my first time upgrading any suspension so I am a newb at what to get. I know the fork can only go to 100mm and I was thinking about trying to find a RP23 for the rear shock. My budget is about $600.

Right now I am racing my singlespeed Gunnar, but I want to have a geared XC bike as well. I love the remote lockout on my SS and miss it a ton when riding the Superlight. With all the ups and downs here in Nevada the Superlight feels like a pig.
    Maybe think about getting the shock and fork PUSHed. It can be tuned for whatever you want and will be well under your budget.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ok....thanks for the input. This is the first time I have heard about getting a shock pushed. I am a little confused with their site, but from what I understand I can get my current fork upgraded to have more adjustability. Sounds pretty cool. I will look into that some more.

I am kinda partial to having the front remote lock out. My current Reba fork has it and it is a life saver.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sb.Reno

The superlight is a pretty efficient ride. There are arguably better suspension systems that suck up the bumps better, but in terms of being efficient and rolling forward, it does pretty good. I ride two FS bikes and a hardtail, and I never try to "lock out" my rear shocks. The traction that they provide aids me in climbing. It is a little difficult for me to ride a 29er one day, and then turn around and ride my FS the next. The 29er makes it seem like I should be able to climb out of the saddle and not lose traction, but sometimes I do on the smaller bikes. I doubt the ability of propedal or a lockout to really make your climbing better. It will make the end stiffer, no doubt, but it points to possibly poor technique or the need to strength-train.

I'd suggest sending the shock to Push, which will make it perform better in all aspects. My opinion is just that, but when using air shocks recently I couldn't stand how the propedal caused the bike to stall over all sorts of bumps and me to expell a lot more energy to clear said bumps. Without such heavy compression damping my previous setups would have just rolled right over the bumps. A lockout is a sure fire way to maximize the forward motion relative to your energy output, but that doesn't necessarily make for a better climbing bike.

If you don't find any of that usefull, then the RP23 will probably do what you want. It works as claimed, and the propedal is pretty dramatic.

And yes, because you are using fox stuff, I also recommend you send the fork and shock to Push. They can make it do (by using new internals that are set up much closer to your riding style) what you want.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    You could look into ordering an rlc cartridge for your fork from fox. It will probabably be about $200 though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Why order a new cartridge when you could convert it over to a RLC with a top cap swap out.

Old man on a bike
    Your original Float R should have had a level of propedal built in...whether it works for you is another question. Push for both fork and shock might be a good way to go to improve performance without spending big $ on new shock and fork.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I have an 07 Superlight with a Float R as well. Your Float R does have Propedal. Changing to a RP23 doesn't buy you much. It does add the lockout, but the Propedal mode will be the same. If it were me, I would have the Float R Pushed and put a Revelation U-Turn 100-130 on the front (last year's model?). Should pretty easily fit inside your budget and you would get better rear performance, with more (adjustable) travel and a lockout on the front end. Side note: I think the Revelation is the perfect fork for 07+ Superlights.

Members who have read this thread: 0