what rear shock for 05 big hit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

what rear shock for 05 big hit

I wanna upgrade my rear shock on my big hit but im pretty new to this and I dont know what im lookin for really, it has a fox vinalla r. I would like to get alittle more traveland perfromace, I just got a 88 fro the front and i would liek to match with a nice rear shock, are the marzocchi rocko any good?

Jun 2003

What Big Hit?

Is it the single pivot model?

THe ROCO is a brand new design. I try to stay away from being a beta tester.

What is your budget, riding style, and weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    nope its a fsr, so its multi point, I ride jsut about everthing, trails, dh, urban, drops...I am about 200lbs. but im plannin on loosin weight to 170ish...also do I have to get the same size shock thats on it now, I mean do I have to get a shock in 70mm [2.75"] 222mm [8.75"] or could I go bigger I would like to get more travel but not a ton. thanx for the help im pretty new to this.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Func413
    do I have to get the same size shock thats on it now, I mean do I have to get a shock in 70mm [2.75"] 222mm [8.75"] or could I go bigger I would like to get more travel but not a ton. thanx for the help im pretty new to this.
    I would highly advise against changing the shock length as it will alter your geometry in a bad way.

I would look into getting a Fox DHX or Swinger.

If you have an older model Big Hit (like the 02 DH) and the fundage, check out Avalanche Racing. They have the hook-up to a couple different linkage s for older Big Hits that allow you to run a 9.0 x 3.0 shock that will up the travel to 9". Click on the pics to get more info.

Good luck.

Beaudry BigHit Linkage 9" Upgrade kit:

Stapleton BigHit Linkage 9" Upgrade kit:

Jun 2003

Yes and no.

Yes, you must use a shock the same size. BETD does make a linkage to increase your travel, if you want.

Check for clearance issues with other BigHit owners. Some of the platform shocks with the external resivoirs are having issues.

Members who have read this thread: 1