VIDEO of my brand new dj1 clanking. whats that noise?!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    106

    VIDEO of my brand new dj1 clanking. whats that noise?!

    just built my first bike. got a brand new marzocchi dj1. NOT liking it..
    here is a pic of the bike and here is a video of the noise its making:

    What I am doing right now | United States | By TempUserc6f973b66ce5cfd722a3e3167e56413
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VIDEO of my brand new dj1 clanking. whats that noise?!-img00118-20110909-2134.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    106
    What I am doing right now | United States | By TempUserc6f973b66ce5cfd722a3e3167e56413 <------VIDEO

    anyone know the problem? no way that these forks are supposed to sound like that...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    106
    almost 30 views and no one knows ??????????????

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    It sounds to me like they are rebounding to fast and topping out really hard, I don't know much about forks so maybe a more experienced person could chime in aswell.

  5. #5
    The Smiths Design
    Reputation: thesmithsdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    32
    Thats what I thought too, it may be an oil issue but from what I've found online it appears to be common, also there are some screws on the bottom of those shocks that strip out if you land too hard I guess so be careful.

  6. #6
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,012
    I would look for the manuals and see if you can do an oil change. Too little oil can cause that.
    Can you crank up the rebound and see if that reduces it?

  7. #7
    trail addict
    Reputation: Uncle Six Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooPeePeeCaaCaaDooDoo View Post
    no way that these forks are supposed to sound like that...
    No way you actually do that on any trails....

    Sorry, but that vid is about as silly as it gets. Pogoing a fork like that is meaningless and doesn't tell anyone anything.

    Does the fork make noise during NORMAL riding?

    Have you checked the oil levels?

    How much sag are you running?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    No way you actually do that on any trails....

    Sorry, but that vid is about as silly as it gets. Pogoing a fork like that is meaningless and doesn't tell anyone anything.

    Does the fork make noise during NORMAL riding?

    Have you checked the oil levels?

    How much sag are you running?
    it actually does make that noise during normal riding. we ride hard. jumps and small drops and what not.
    i have not checked the oil levels. everything i read says DO NOT try to mess with taking apart the fork unless you know what your doing. and i don't when it comes to the fork.

    what is sag? i have under 15psi in fork. whether the fork is on slow or fast rebound it still does it.

  9. #9
    trail addict
    Reputation: Uncle Six Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooPeePeeCaaCaaDooDoo View Post
    it actually does make that noise during normal riding. we ride hard. jumps and small drops and what not.
    i have not checked the oil levels. everything i read says DO NOT try to mess with taking apart the fork unless you know what your doing. and i don't when it comes to the fork.

    what is sag? i have under 15psi in fork. whether the fork is on slow or fast rebound it still does it.
    Well, I never had my dj apart, but I have had a few fox forks and RS forks apart and it isn't rocket science. I drain and fill my forks once a year or more to keep them in top shape. If you have no idea as to whether your fork has the right levels, I would say just drain everything and make sure it is right.

    You are probably going to need some specific damper oil (can get at bike shop or motorcycle shop)-probably just a "light" viscosity. I don't know if your marz is open bath-if so you probably won't need any other oil. You also need a clean container to measure accurately-I use oral syringes and/or an old measuring cup (but a nice graduated cylinder would be better than the measuring cup). And you need to know what oil volumes go in each side (and any other things specific to your fork-I was able to use info I found online for RS and Fox-like this Tenneco Marzocchi Suspension ).

    You will probably make a mess the first time you work on a fork, but it is no harder than changing the oil in a car and you will be able to do it yourself once a year or so and it will never be so hard again. Put used fork oil in a jug and recycle it with used motor oil.

    or

    You need to buy a knowledgeable friend a six pack of his favorite beer and invite him over to have a look at it one afternoon.

    SAG is how much travel you use just from being on the bike. In other words, just your weight and nothing else should use some of the fork travel-probably about 25 percent for your fork-1 inch (25mm) for a 100mm fork. This is the most important initial set-up. Add or subtract psi until you are close to that sag. Tie a rubber band around one fork leg if you have no other way to get an accurate measurement. Do you have a shock pump? Consider it a necessity for a fork or shock with air adjustments.

    For an initial rebound setting, set it open (fast) and put the front tire up against a wall or something. Push down on the bars to compress the fork and let it rebound. Fully open, it should rebound fairly fast (maybe even making a top-out noise). Add a click of rebound damping and push down again.... keep going until you notice that the damping is controlling the rebound. It shouldn't be slow, but it also shouldn't seem uncontrolled fast.

    That should put you in a pretty good starting point-you can make small changes from there to suit yourself. I doubt your fork will make such loud noises in normal riding (even drops and jumps) with good oil levels and a good set-up.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

  10. #10
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,926
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooPeePeeCaaCaaDooDoo View Post
    it actually does make that noise during normal riding. we ride hard. jumps and small drops and what not.
    i have not checked the oil levels. everything i read says DO NOT try to mess with taking apart the fork unless you know what your doing. and i don't when it comes to the fork.

    what is sag? i have under 15psi in fork. whether the fork is on slow or fast rebound it still does it.
    15psi sound very low in my opinion for a preload... and that rebound is waaay to high.

    Looks like you have a very small preload with a big negative air spring and fast rebound...

    Which cause the fork to compress too fast, allowing the negative air spring to be very reacting to the compression, and with your rebound so fast, it just come back slamming up on the damper, and then damage the fork's internals...

    Try to follow the instructions in the manual.

    And I have a drop off 3, 150mm, I weight about 110lbs and I put around 30-40 psi of preload... so you probably have a lot of tune up to do here.

    David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    106
    UNCLE SIX PACK and DAVID C:

    thank you for the detailed responses. it would be easy to send it back but im sure learning to take apart the fork and oil is something i need to learn anyway.
    i am going to call the place i got the fork from first thing monday morning. if they grant me the okay to return the fork even after taking it apart i will probably attempt what you suggested.
    thats pretty shitty imo that i have to mess with a msrp 500+ fork right out the box. i would imagine that just fine tuning it with exteral settings would be all that is required.
    i had no idea about the sag weight. 25% just on body weight? im going to try this out in the morning and see how it goes.
    as far as psi goes, marzocchi suggest no more than 15 psi or it may damage the fork. but looking at what six pack said about sag i bet that i will only have about 5 psi in there to hit that sweet spot.

    thanks again. ill update in the morning.

  12. #12
    trail addict
    Reputation: Uncle Six Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    15psi sound very low in my opinion for a preload...
    Those DJs have coils and the air spring is just a preload assist... doesn't take much because they put pretty hefty springs in (at least it seemed that way back when I had mine and there was a ton of compression damping).

    Just out of curiosity, PPPPCCDD, how did you come up with 15psi for a start? If it was a guess then you should definitely start with my advice on set-up and you might not need to check all the oil levels.

    Once things are set-up, do not test by bouncing on it-go ride. On the ride, you want to pay attention to 2 things.

    1) How does the rebound feel over repeated bumps and after single large hits? You want rebound fast enough that it can extend after repeated hits and not "pack down", but slow enough that one bit hit doesn't extend so rapidly to make you lose control. It is a balancing act and unless something seems wrong, do not mess with rebound just for the sake of it until you are more familiar with everything. (make a note of that initial setting so you can always go back to it)

    2) How much travel are you using? On a hard ride, it is totally acceptable to use 90-100% of your travel, but it shouldn't bottom harshly and it shouldn't get into that 90-100% range unless it is a pretty significant hit, like a drop to flat. Do not gauge this by intentionally bouncing or landing nose-heavy. Ride normal, but hard. If it never gets to the 90-100% range, you may want to reduce pressure a bit more. If it goes to 100% repeatedly or if it is bottoming hard (the fork may bottom out a few mm shy of advertised full travel), then add a little pressure. Again, make note of your initial setting so you can always go back to it. BTW, to measure travel, use the same rubber band (or zip-tie) as you used for sag....
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    Those DJs have coils and the air spring is just a preload assist... doesn't take much because they put pretty hefty springs in (at least it seemed that way back when I had mine and there was a ton of compression damping).

    Just out of curiosity, PPPPCCDD, how did you come up with 15psi for a start? If it was a guess then you should definitely start with my advice on set-up and you might not need to check all the oil levels.

    Once things are set-up, do not test by bouncing on it-go ride. On the ride, you want to pay attention to 2 things.

    1) How does the rebound feel over repeated bumps and after single large hits? You want rebound fast enough that it can extend after repeated hits and not "pack down", but slow enough that one bit hit doesn't extend so rapidly to make you lose control. It is a balancing act and unless something seems wrong, do not mess with rebound just for the sake of it until you are more familiar with everything. (make a note of that initial setting so you can always go back to it)

    2) How much travel are you using? On a hard ride, it is totally acceptable to use 90-100% of your travel, but it shouldn't bottom harshly and it shouldn't get into that 90-100% range unless it is a pretty significant hit, like a drop to flat. Do not gauge this by intentionally bouncing or landing nose-heavy. Ride normal, but hard. If it never gets to the 90-100% range, you may want to reduce pressure a bit more. If it goes to 100% repeatedly or if it is bottoming hard (the fork may bottom out a few mm shy of advertised full travel), then add a little pressure. Again, make note of your initial setting so you can always go back to it. BTW, to measure travel, use the same rubber band (or zip-tie) as you used for sag....
    Ok, so took the bike out totay. couldn't do much hard riding. but i was palying around with eveyrthing as you guys suggested. got rid of the top out metal on metal noise by puttting 5psi of air and putting rebound on waaaaay slow. but even with only 5 psi, when i put it on med or fast rebound it still clanks when popping wheeles or bunny hopping.
    when its on slow rebound and not making the clanking noise, it makes a squishing noise. my neighbor who got the same fork and just put on his jamis said his makes that squishy noise also.
    im going to keep reading and see whats up.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    15psi sound very low in my opinion for a preload... and that rebound is waaay to high.

    Looks like you have a very small preload with a big negative air spring and fast rebound...

    Which cause the fork to compress too fast, allowing the negative air spring to be very reacting to the compression, and with your rebound so fast, it just come back slamming up on the damper, and then damage the fork's internals...

    Try to follow the instructions in the manual.

    And I have a drop off 3, 150mm, I weight about 110lbs and I put around 30-40 psi of preload... so you probably have a lot of tune up to do here.

    David
    I was reading that marzocchi says not to put over 15psi in the fork bc it could damage it.

  15. #15
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,926
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooPeePeeCaaCaaDooDoo View Post
    Ok, so took the bike out totay. couldn't do much hard riding. but i was palying around with eveyrthing as you guys suggested. got rid of the top out metal on metal noise by puttting 5psi of air and putting rebound on waaaaay slow. but even with only 5 psi, when i put it on med or fast rebound it still clanks when popping wheeles or bunny hopping.
    when its on slow rebound and not making the clanking noise, it makes a squishing noise. my neighbor who got the same fork and just put on his jamis said his makes that squishy noise also.
    im going to keep reading and see whats up.
    Squishy noise is ok, since its the oil cartridge doing this... Same for my drop off, and it add a nice touch to the ride...

    David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Similar Threads

  1. VIDEO of my dj1 fork. whats this noise???
    By PooPooPeePee in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 11:31 AM
  2. new build... CLANKing noise?
    By slothoncanvas in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 11:18 PM
  3. Brand New Juicy7 noise
    By lazybeaner in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
  4. Brand New Rp3 Noise
    By staz in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 12:22 PM
  5. New 05 Vanilla R- NOISE,CLANKING?
    By staz in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 10:10 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.