Vanilla RC Internal Floating Piston Depth?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2005

Vanilla RC Internal Floating Piston Depth?

In the process of rebuilding my shock, and I need to know this before it can go back together. Anyone know?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by shift
    In the process of rebuilding my shock, and I need to know this before it can go back together. Anyone know?
    Contact PUSH, they might tell you. Maybe Fox would.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Whoaohohohoh
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Contact PUSH, they might tell you. Maybe Fox would.

_MK

Fox won't give out that kind of information. You basically screwed yourself over when you tried to work on the shock by youself. Rear shocks are not user servicable except for air sleeve rebuilds, but that doesn't apply to you in this case. The only thing you can do now is send the shock to fox for a rebuild or push if you want to get it revalved for your riding style.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoaohohohoh
    Fox won't give out that kind of information. You basically screwed yourself over when you tried to work on the shock by youself. Rear shocks are not user servicable except for air sleeve rebuilds, but that doesn't apply to you in this case. The only thing you can do now is send the shock to fox for a rebuild or push if you want to get it revalved for your riding style.
    Can't bash a guy for trying. The rebuild is actually quite straight forward, if you have all the proper info. I wish I did.

Hey shift, did you get a hold of some type of rebuild manual to take it apart or just took it apart?

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Can't bash a guy for trying. The rebuild is actually quite straight forward, if you have all the proper info. I wish I did.

Hey shift, did you get a hold of some type of rebuild manual to take it apart or just took it apart?

_MK
    You're right, rebuilding them isn't hard at all. The only problem I have is finding the IFP depth. Neither Push or Fox will release the info which is strange because I've rebuilt many snowmobile Fox shocks and they've readily gave me the info that I asked them for. And seeing how they don't release that info, it's near impossible to search the internet to find it.

mtbr member
    I might be able to help
    Check your pm tommorrow

Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cort
    I might be able to help
    Check your pm tommorrow
    Will do. I appreciate any help you can give!

www.derbyrims.com

Just a guess

Quote Originally Posted by shift
    Put enough oil under the piston so it never "tops-out" which would limit full extension and suck air past the shaft seal. I imagine give it at least a 1/4 inch oil level, probably 1/2 inch before the extension limit.

Probably set the oil level so the piston is floating about midway in the chamber at shaft full extension.

Relatively more oil, leaving less air in the reserve, will produce a more rising rate of compression, and possibly reduce compression travel without a lighter coil spring. Too small of an air space could cause the air reserve psi to rise so much and burp past the piston into the oil.

What kind of air valve are you fitting? I've read how the reserve air seal can be drilled out to service it yourself. When you drilled out the seal was there a scary pop of released air? Or just a small pffft? And I've heard that you need about 300 psi in the air reserve.

This is interesting to me and something I'd like to try to do someday too.

- ray

Members who have read this thread: 0