using a different length rear shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

using a different length rear shock

The stock shock specs are 7.5 E2E with 2" stroke. (this is for an 04 RM Switch) I have a
    I wanted to check out having a Vanilla RC Pushed, and I have a spare 7.87 E2E with 2.25" stroke lying around. RM says that this will absolutely not work!! It will mess up the leverage ratio. I bolted the shock up and there ar no clearance issues. How would using the 1/4" longer shock mess up the way the rear suspension was designed to work? Would there be any other concerns?

Thanks
    Bob

TNC
    noMAD man

Perhaps warranty or liability.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisk89196
    The stock shock specs are 7.5 E2E with 2" stroke. (this is for an 04 RM Switch) I have a
    I wanted to check out having a Vanilla RC Pushed, and I have a spare 7.87 E2E with 2.25" stroke lying around. RM says that this will absolutely not work!! It will mess up the leverage ratio. I bolted the shock up and there ar no clearance issues. How would using the 1/4" longer shock mess up the way the rear suspension was designed to work? Would there be any other concerns?

Thanks
    Bob
    Obviously some of the ratio from fully extended will change on a longer shock, but this is usually handled with a spring change or the external damping controls in most cases. I don't think you find many bike companies who go around recommending different shocks and lengths unless they've done the switch themselves. There are too many variables for them to be responsible for in these experiments. If you install the shock and there are no clearance or contact issues from fully extended to fully compressed, then I'd try it. One place of potential contact overlooked on some designs with different shocks is the swingarm hitting the front derailleur cage under full compression.

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I'm using a 7.875" eye to eye shock on my Enduro (stroke 2") instead of my Itch Switch 7.625" (it's getting Pushed). Don't see any problems so far. True, my stroke is the same and your's will be a little longer. I really don't see how it will hurt. Sag will have to be longer, slightly. Head angle will be slacker, I think.