Upgrading from RST- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Upgrading from RST

I am wanting to put better shocks on than this. Im a beginner but have a knack to hit some serious trails, what is a good adjustable shock for me to put on my trek 3700? Air? Oil? Air/Oil? Spring? So complicated. Help.

Jun 2006
    I was in your situation a year ago. And I went marzocchi coil/air Mx comp eta.

Marz mx comp eta is a simple inexspensive, very reliable 4" fork that can take some punishment. If you are new and not sure what to get, a $200 marzochhi is tough to go wrong with. I loved mine until I upgraded to a 6" travel frame, now my roomate loves it on his 4" fsr.

mx comp is a hybrid air/coil with eta to help on climbs (this allows you to compress the fork and leave it down to give you a better head angle to climb with, it is VERY easy to use).

the 05 models can be found for under 200, so its not a huge investment. You will not feel limited by this fork unless you plan to hit big drops and jumps, at which point you'll probably be looking for a whole new bike.

other forks brands will cost you much more for equal performance, and you probably shouldn't throw mega bucks around if you are new and not quite sure what you want.

Jul 2006
    Thank you for the feedback, is this an adjustable shock? What is eta?

Freshly Fujified

Need more info

Give us more info, please. Your weight? What are "serious trails?" How technical are they? What type of terrain and obstacles? Are you doing drops? if so how big? What sort of adjustability and why?

Answering these questions will help us steer you in the right direction. If you're doing typical XC riding with roots, rocks and the occasional log, I second the Marzocchi MX Comp or MX Pro recommendations. Depending on the model year, they would be air/coil sprung or air sprung. ETA is a feature on Marzocchi forks that shortens the travel (but does not lock it out) for climbing purposes. As for the choice of air vs coil, it's a matter of preference, rider weight, and to a degree, how aggressive the riding will be.

Reply with answers to the questions above and I'm sure you'll get more responses and recommendations.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by v8shadow
    Thank you for the feedback, is this an adjustable shock? What is eta?

The only easy adjusment on the model I have (05 mx comp eta 105mm) is the amount of air pressure you put in the right leg (this is called pre-load-some, shocks use air to adjust this and some use a spring that can be changed, as this shock has both a spring and air, you don't need to change the spring, you just adjust the pressure). This requires a shock pump and is dependent on rider weight and preference (the manual will tell you the range you want to be in), it affects how much sag the fork has when you are sitting on the bike and how much force is required to compress it.

The rebound (how fast the shock returns to its original position after compression--too fast and it feels like pogo-stick, too slow and it won't return in time for the next bump) can be adjusted with a long allen tool that often comes with it--I never messed with it as it seemed to work fine, requires a little bit of taking things apart and rebound is hard to descern unless its WAY off.

I pretty much just put a little air in it and rode happily for months occasionally trying different pressures if I felt it was too soft or too stiff.

Eta changes a 4" fork into a 2" fork and can be done on the fly with the twist of a nob and little hop to compress the fork. It stands for something like "external travel adjust"--I think.

Other, more expensive models have external adjustments for rebound, travel, compression damping and all sorts of various aspects of fork performance. These all have different brand names like ETA, TST, TAS, TALAS, U-Turn, Doppio air, and others. Some riders like these while others just want to ride without messing with switches and nobs all day.

If you want more info on the nuances of coil, air, damping and the finer points of shock performance you'll need to get responses from someone more knowledgable than me and, like clyde says, giving more info will get more of those responses.

Jul 2006
    I am 160lbs. I ride harder intermediate and advanced trails, because real moderate mtb trails are hard to come by. Not real technical, but somewhat. No real drops but some jumps can be had. The RST shock is very spongy come the first root in the trail.

Jun 2006
    Yeah, mine would bottom out riding off a curb, I had them for as long as it took my mx to ship.

Members who have read this thread: 0