Upgrades for 2020 Recon Rl?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Upgrades for 2020 Recon Rl?

I want to get some extra performance out of my fork but can't really raise the money for an upgrade right now. Can't find any information about possible upgrades for the fork online so I turned to the forum for some advice. If anyone knows anything or anyone, your opinion would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Well, not sure if they changed it but you can get an extra 20mm of travel by removing a spacer in the air shaft side. That's about it for the Recon forks. Too bad you can't use tokens in them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I was wondering if you could swap in a 2018 charger 2 damper since it also works with 32mm stanchions? This one came up for sale on Pinkbike recently and seemed like I could get a good price on it.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2809567/

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Do you have the steel stanchions or the Gold with aluminum stanchions?

SRAM deliberately handicaps their cheapest forks to stop these kind of upgrades. 10 years ago it was not the case and you could, for example, upgrade your Recon's compression and rebound dampers to the best RS had on offer back then. I don't have specific insight on the current Recon RL but you will probably find obstacles like the top cap thread pitch being different from that used in the Sid, Reba & Bluto.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks for your insight. 98% sure I have steel stanchions, It's a shame that parts aren't compatible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    If you do have a recon with aluminum stanchions, what dampers will fit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tstinchy View Post
    If you do have a recon with aluminum stanchions, what dampers will fit?
    AFAIK the Recon Gold RL's internal stanchion diameter and thread pitch has been unchanged since the days of the Recon 3xx etc. in 2007 (but don't quote me on that - do your own research). The Recon Gold's compression and rebound dampers are common for 26", 27.5" and 29" wheel size and travel from 80-150mm.

I *think* the best compression damper you can install is one of the 32mm Motion Control DNA dampers, either RLT (11.4015.544.110) or RCT3 (11.4015.544.130). Both of these dampers will give much better mid-stroke support than the basic MoCo damper that comes with that fork.

But...the rebound damper in the Recon Gold is a basic port orifice design, and the above two DNA compression dampers will work better with the 32mm Revelation's dual flow shim-based rebound damper (11.4015.545.030 - good up to 150mm travel).

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...l#post10410364

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...er-955744.html

If you want more certainty, unscrew and remove your compression damper and measure the cap's thread pitch (you'll need a thread pitch gauge). It should be 1mm for the above dampers to thread into the fork. Then use a caliper and measure the diameter of the motion control damper on the lower o-ring (without compressing the o-ring). The diameter should be 28mm for the above dampers to fit in the stanchion.
    Last edited by rete; 1 Week Ago at 10:50 PM.