Upgrade Rockshox Sektor RL Solo Air 150mm- Mtbr.com
    RBSBiking
    May 2011

Upgrade Rockshox Sektor RL Solo Air 150mm

Im looking to put a little money into upgrading (upgrading components, not buying a new one) my Rockshox Sektor RL solo air.

Im debating between putting in an RLT or XX MoCo damper. Thoughts between the the two?

Also, any suggestions on a new rebound damper?

I ride mostly AM/XC singletrack.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by amirwhite; 02-10-2014 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Get the RLT Ti (blackbox) if you can find one, or the RCT3 compression damper, leave the XX alone. As for rebound, the blackbox (dual flow) or newer rapid recovery dampers would both be a big improvement over the Sektor's orifice damper.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

RBSBiking
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Get the RLT Ti (blackbox) if you can find one, or the RCT3 compression damper, leave the XX alone. As for rebound, the blackbox (dual flow) or newer rapid recovery dampers would both be a big improvement over the Sektor's orifice damper.
    What about the RLT DNA vs the Ti blackbox ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can pickup take off 2014 revelation rct3 for around $400-450 unused. You're going to spend $200-250 upgrading the dampers on a $200 fork. Sell your fork for $200 and take the money you were going to spend and buy a newer model revelation.

Assuming your bike has a tapered HT =]

RBSBiking
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    You can pickup take off 2014 revelation rct3 for around $400-450 unused. =]
    Where did you see that fork for $450? i cant find it for under $700

mtbr member
    You can pickup take off 2014 revelation rct3 for around $400-450 unused. You're going to spend $200-250 upgrading the dampers on a $200 fork. Sell your fork for $200 and take the money you were going to spend and buy a newer model revelation.

Assuming your bike has a tapered HT =]
    That still means he will spend $200-$250 anyway, and if I'm not mistaken, the Sektor chassis is pretty much the same as the Revelation, just with more basic compression and rebound dampers. The air spring is the same between both those forks now. Dropping the new dampers in the Sektor is basically giving you a Revelation, so what would the OP gain by spending $200-$250 on a new fork that would give exactly the same result?
    That's assuming he could find a new, unused Rev for the money. Also, if by "take off" fork you mean one that has been removed from a bike, then it is very likely to be an oem spec fork, and they quite often don't have the same internals as an aftermarket fork (Specialized for example have a very basic version of the MoCo DNA damper fitted to their bikes), so he may not get a fork that is much better than the Sektor anyway.

RBSBiking
    May 2011
    I think im going to stick with upgrading components as opposed to buy a new fork.

Do you have a parts number for the rebound dampers you were talking about ? Cant seem to find them

THanks

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007

RBSBiking
    May 2011

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    That still means he will spend $200-$250 anyway, and if I'm not mistaken, the Sektor chassis is pretty much the same as the Revelation, just with more basic compression and rebound dampers. The air spring is the same between both those forks now. Dropping the new dampers in the Sektor is basically giving you a Revelation, so what would the OP gain by spending $200-$250 on a new fork that would give exactly the same result?
    I thought my post made pretty good sense. The point was why would you spend $250 on a $200 fork that will remain a $200 fork? That's not any different then someone buying a XX year old bike for $500 and then spending $500 to upgrade parts on it when they could have just found a much newer $1000 bike. Which in most cases would have made more sense.

That's assuming he could find a new, unused Rev for the money. Also, if by "take off" fork you mean one that has been removed from a bike, then it is very likely to be an oem spec fork, and they quite often don't have the same internals as an aftermarket fork
    It's very easy to find new take offs of forks on pinkbike and ebay. People buy complete bikes all the time and remove specific parts as they want something different. Or people buy new forks and decide not to use them.

(Specialized for example have a very basic version of the MoCo DNA damper fitted to their bikes), so he may not get a fork that is much better than the Sektor anyway.
    Show me the bike with this damper? If Specialized, for example, specs a fork that's different than the factory model then they'll have a different model name attached to it. You may have a Rockshox Revelation R or a Xfusion Vengeance R, neither of which exist in their normal retail lineup.

To summarize, you can easily pickup a new takeoff or new in the box 2013-2014 Revelation rct3(or Fox if that's your thing) for $400-450 in 26/27.5/29. Might have to wait a week or two but one will pop up. It does not seem logical to put $250 into a $200 fork. If you wanted to rock a coil fork then I could probably understand.

mtbr member

Show me the bike with this damper? If Specialized, for example, specs a fork that's different than the factory model then they'll have a different model name attached to it. You may have a Rockshox Revelation R or a Xfusion Vengeance R, neither of which exist in their normal retail lineup.

Stumpjumper comp Evo - Has a Revelation RC3 damper, which is oem and not anywhere like the same as the RCT3 version - as per this thread - http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...t3-895875.html

Read post #3 from Mullen119 and you get an idea as to what I am talking about.

Meeeeeeeep
    Okay, so I have the same fork in the mail (RS Sektor 150mm solo air) and I am not sure if it has a MoCo or TK comp damper. Either way, I'll probably end up upgrading to the rev RLT DNA damper eventually.

My question is, how difficult is it to replace the rebound damper? That seems to be the weakest part of the fork and worth upgrading, especially if I'm going to bother upgrading the comp damper.

I realize I'll need to pull the lowers off, so at the very least I'll need to replace the oil. Are there any other seals or wipers or crush washers that I'd have to replace too? The fork is fairly new, so everything should be in good shape internally.

For reference, here's the parts I'm looking at using:

"RockShox Rev/Sektor MoCo Rebound Damper/Seal Head, 2010-Current":
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UW57VC

"RockShox MoCo RLT DNA for MY10 -Current Revel Crown LO":
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QCK7FA