Upgrade from Fox Float DPS Performance to a Fox DPX2, what's better?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

Upgrade from Fox Float DPS Performance to a Fox DPX2, what's better?

Title says it all. I'm riding a 2018 Santa Cruz Hightower in all kinds of terrain, though primarily rocky rooty New England.

I see that the DPX2 has more settings, but fore everyday riding will I notice? Is the biggest benefit more volume of oil for less heat buildup on descents? There's a big difference in price between the two.

I don't have any issues with the Float DPS, other than "stiction" which may be my bike's pivot points- I need to look at that.

I get a pretty good deal on the DPX2.

Thanks.

Hitching a ride
    I've seen the DPS overheat and lose damping on flat rocky tech riding while my dpx2 soldiered on. I think it's an awesome trail bike shock.

Turns right, slides left
    Quote Originally Posted by Preserved View Post
    Title says it all. I'm riding a 2018 Santa Cruz Hightower in all kinds of terrain, though primarily rocky rooty New England.

I see that the DPX2 has more settings, but fore everyday riding will I notice? Is the biggest benefit more volume of oil for less heat buildup on descents? There's a big difference in price between the two.

I don't have any issues with the Float DPS, other than "stiction" which may be my bike's pivot points- I need to look at that.

I get a pretty good deal on the DPX2.

Thanks.
    I was contemplating the same options for my Tall Boy and wound up with a Mcleod. I could not be happier. A few weeks ago I rode a 5010 with DPX2 and did not notice much of a difference between it and the the DPS. IMHO, you would need to have either Fox shock sent for a custom tune to even come close to the Mcleod's performance out of the box.

I'm sure the DPX2 will give you better performance than the DPS on long rough descents.