TST2 to RC2 conversion report : Holy crap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

TST2 to RC2 conversion report : Holy crap

I have an 07 Marzocchi All Mountain 1, and was never satisfied with the performance of the TST2 damper. It always felt harsh and spikey, and oil constantly had to be bled through the air valve in order to get full travel out of the fork. After over a year of dealing with the POS, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the All mountain 1 RC2 upgrade kit directly from Marzocchi for $200. Installation of the new cartridge was really straightforward and required no unusual tools. It actually reminded me a lot of working on my old z1 MCR from back in the day with its open bath cartridges: a simple system that works well and is easily serviceable.

I took my first ride on the "new fork" yesterday and was pretty much blown away. It really is like a totally different fork now. It is way more plush now both on small bumps and larger drops. I was also able to tune out brake dive to some extent with the compression adjustment.

In summary, if you have an 07 AM1 I HIGHLY recommend this upgrade. It is a pretty damn sweet fork now: RC2, ETA, and a 20mm quick release, all for much less than the price of a new fork with comparable features.

Code Burr
    What range of travel can the RC2 be run at? I wouldnt mind updating a 55R but $200 is steep.

always learning
    Mine's at Marz right now having this done, get it back Tuesday
    I actually didn't have a problem with the performance of my 07 AM1 but I also got mine from a European distributor which *supposedly* had less problems than the US version. But I always knew the RC2 conversion would make it as good as it can be so I'm stoked to get it back. I'll post up when I get my first ride on it

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Hey Dougbot, I have the same fork/ conversion as yours, & as noted, much improved over tst.
    I'm due for an oil change, which I'll do myself, & wondering what oil levels, or better, oil volumes marzocchi instructed you with your upgrade?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The RC2 cartridge was originally meant for a 66, so I'm pretty sure it can do up to 180 mm of travel.

As far as oil levels go, they told me to fill it to 45 mm from the top when fully compressed.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I get "just" under 170mm with mine....

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dougbot
    The RC2 cartridge was originally meant for a 66, so I'm pretty sure it can do up to 180 mm of travel.

As far as oil levels go, they told me to fill it to 45 mm from the top when fully compressed.

Thanks Doug, is that 45mm "both" sides?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Oooh now then. I have a '08 55 TST 2 and an 07 66SL1 ATA (with the RC2 damping cart).

Can i fit the RC2 cart from the '07 66 to the '08 55, as an upgrade from the TST2 damping?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Really, Marzocchi needs to just kill the TST.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    What range of travel can the RC2 be run at? I wouldnt mind updating a 55R but $200 is steep.
    Don't quote me, but I think it's 150mm and there's another for 170mm.... I have 150mm ringing in my head because AM1SL from 2007, could go up to 160mm but they got stuck at "only" 150mm with the RC2 unless you get a cartridge that is compatible with the 66.... which is perfectly possible.

As italians say, Marzocchi specs are/were a "cassino".

The HSCV cart that I used on my AM1 was from a Z1FR and it could extend well past 150mm... because it could be used also with 170mm forks of back in the day.

Sad thing is Marzocchi HAD a fork that was an AM1 chassis with RC2 and ETA... the Z1 Light. They dumbly discontinued it because it was "too heavy" while all their other forks were having all kinds of manufacturing and reliability problems.

First TST was spikey and used to blow. First iteration of the Micro was a failure also... not to mention the TST2.

Having had a AM1 with the TST and the HSCV, I can honestly say that I was much happier with the HSCV and did not miss any ofthe bells and whistles on the TST... but really appreciated the buttery smooth travel of the HSCV.
    Check my Site

always learning
    Exactly, Z1 Light was great but got lumped in with the others and shutdown.

When I first got the AM1 I did some fiddling with the TST on a couple rides but decided it felt best wide open. My DH bike has an '04 Super T with HSCV, always loved the plushness of it. I'm supposed to get the call today that my AM1 is done, no word yet but I'm looking forward to this weekend

mtbr member

Parts list

07 66 RC2X cart give your 07 AM1 the full 160mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are not so much concerned if you are slow as when you come to a halt.

Oct 2005
    What they should have done is kill the AM series, but they really had a hard on for these poorly thought out dampers. Now look, they brought it back in the 55. That's the only way they have even a slight chance that anyone would buy it at this point.

always learning
    Mine just arrived at home, can't wait to get my first ride on it

Aug 2007
    meh, I got 6 lightly used HSCV marzocchi forks laying around, don't need another one. (besides already have a Z1 RC2 )

all my years of hording HSCV forks is finally paying off.

mtbr member
    I have an 07 allmountain sl that I want to convert to a rc2. I already have an extra rc2 180mm cartridge from a 66. The footnuts are different in the lowers of the all mountain and 66. What foot nut do i need to make the rc2 fit in the all mountain lowers?

mtbr member
    gave the guys in socal a call today and it seems that the plug unit that is needed to convert a rc2 cartridge to all mtn compatibility has been discontinued. looks like I am going to jump ship to the lyrik...

mtbr member
    I almost feel guilty having a barely used 2007 Z1 RC2 sitting in my closet for a rainy day.........

I dream on two wheels
    That sucks. I am working on rebuilding my TST2 cart. I was going to order the RC2 cart just in case it didn't work.
    Whiskey

Members who have read this thread: 0