Travel usage- Mtbr.com

Thread: Travel usage

Old No. 7

Travel usage

Ok, so how much of your travel do you use on your freeride/dh forks? I just put on a new fork and put a zip tie around my stanchion to set sag, ect, and noticed that I use about half of the travel just pedeling, a little more than half doing small 2ft. drops, and all but the last inch or so bouncing or tring to nose dive off 2 footers seeing if I can replicate the bigger harder drops (to see how close to bottoming out I can get it). Should this worrie me? Or is it just scary to me because I have never noticed how much travel people use? BTW, I did bottom once on a bad landing, which is prob. why I'm kinda worried.
    Also, what does the term "travel end" refer to, when adjusting that area of the fork?
    Oh, one last noob question, sag mesurements. Sitting with body weight over seat, or standing with body weight in ride position?
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

MattSavage
    What fork are you riding?

Different compression dampers behave differently based on shaft velocity, high speed low speed compression and whatnot. Bouncing around the driveway might cause you to nearly bottom, but hauling ass downhill and taking a hard hit, on the same fork, might not.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    What fork are you riding?

Different compression dampers behave differently based on shaft velocity, high speed low speed compression and whatnot. Bouncing around the driveway might cause you to nearly bottom, but hauling ass downhill and taking a hard hit, on the same fork, might not.
    888RC2X
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    888RC2X
    I ride primarily Marzocchi forks. I weigh 200lb. with gear and run one stock and one X heavy spring. I never use static sag measurments for tuning. If my fork is too soft I find it rides too far into its travel on steep descents. Harsh bottoming should be controlled by oil height. You want to use up travel for your given riding style but you don't want to always be deep into your travel on moderate parts of the terrain. Expermintation is key. Get a set of stiffer springs and install one only,first, see if you like the new feel.

MattSavage
    [QUOTE=fred.r]Ok, so how much of your travel do you use on your freeride/dh forks? I just put on a new fork and put a zip tie around my stanchion to set sag, ect, and noticed that I use about half of the travel just pedeling, a little more than half doing small 2ft. drops, and all but the last inch or so bouncing or tring to nose dive off 2 footers seeing if I can replicate the bigger harder drops (to see how close to bottoming out I can get it). Should this worrie me? Or is it just scary to me because I have never noticed how much travel people use? BTW, I did bottom once on a bad landing, which is prob. why I'm kinda worried.
    QUOTE]

Sounds a little soft, even for a 888. Since it has external high and low speeed compression adjustments, start with those. More High speed damping helps prevent bottoming on hard hits when its already into its travel. Low speed will help prevent brake dive and, to some degree, pedal input. If you find yourself bottoming more often than not, try adding a little oil. If that causes too much ramp up, take some out and try a different spring.

You should be able to use almost all of your travel most of the time on a dh run. If you're not, then your just wasting resources.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    I recently put a new '05 DJ3 on my bike. And I also noticed that I use probably close to half the travel when standing and peddling agressively. I weigh 220lbs and just bouncing on flat ground I can very nearly bottom it out and off a 4ft drop to flat it bottoms out ...

Should I be able to cure this with an air pressure adjustment? I have yet to figure out how to check the aire pressure or add air ... the fork came with a small adapter but it doesn't seem to screw onto the air valves on the fork at all

Edit/update: Stopped by my LBS today and they put a shock pump on it and aired it up to the max 15psi on each side and the shock is noticeabley stiffer. Feels much better to me.
    Last edited by JFoster; 02-06-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0