Travel increase for my FSR XC- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Travel increase for my FSR XC

Goodmorning all,

Are there any other manufacturers of rear suspension linkage other than BETD? I am looking to increase the travel on my FSR. Thanks for your help.

Sid

mtbr member

My BETD experience on an 03 Stumpjumper frame

Maybe not the message you want to hear but I would get a new frame if you want longer travel. Selling the FSR and upgrading to a new frame may not be as expensive as you think. The BETD link or similar will change the leverage ratio. Unless you are 100 pounds you will likely get a lot of suspension "bob" and need to put a lot more air in the rear shock. I am 195 and used to put about 190psi in the rear shock - when I fitted the BETD link I had to put about 280 in there to get correct sag in 5" travel mode but it bobbed like hell. I had also bought a new fork - so I just ended up getting a 5" travel frame and selling the stumpy frame on mtbr classifieds and putting all the parts on the new frame.

Hard as nails

No good I agree w/ WILKS

I have an 03 Stumpy that I purchased the BETD link to increase the travel to 5in. Overall, it was a bad move. It did increase the leverage ration significantly thus making it necessary to increase the air pressure to accomodate the change. This ultimately resulted in damaging my rear shock I even contacted P.U.S.H and s/w Darren to see if they could revalve it to handle the increase ratio. He stated that they would not touch it because it was a bad set up. He did not recommend the linkage change.

Maybe getting a shock with a slightly longer I2I would help (I doubt it though). So now the frame and dead shock is hanging in my laudry room waiting to be reborn! So be careful with this move.

But to answer your question, I know a company named www.risseracing.com used to make them (probably still do). I think there is another, just does not come to mind at this time. GOOD LUCK!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, the stock ratio is already around 2.8:1, so the BETD link pushes that over 3:1, which overpowers the shock a bit. For light riders (<150lbs) it might work ok. I find the FSR with an air shock is pretty progressive (meaning mushy initially then ramps up a lot) so increasing the leverage ratio probably magnifies the problem.

A tunable platform shock could compensate for this, but like was mentioned, you're getting into the price of a new frame then. (link plus shock=$500+)

Members who have read this thread: 0