Travel increase- Mtbr.com

Thread: Travel increase

person

Travel increase

I had read that you can increase the rear wheel travel of your frame. I also have read that if you do this by buying different suspension plates that it changes the leverage ratio on some bikes. I was wondering if it would affect mine. I have an 02 Kona bear. Thanks again

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Well, what you say is true of very few frames. This usually applies to either extremely popular mass produced bikes, when a small manufacturer makes some custom parts to tweak the bike in a way a lot of riders would really appreciate. Otherwise, a few select butique brands have this feature engineered into the frames.

You would need to do quite a bit of research, but possibly linkage plates from another model Kona could work. You could possibly replace the rear shock with one of the same eye2eye but longer stroke. Just make sure your seatstay won't hit the seat tube at full compression.

It is also not all that cheap to be investing in linkage plates, possibly new shocks, etc. You may just be better off selling the frame and buying a new one with more travel.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

TNC
    noMAD man
    Did you post this on the Kona forum? I'd bet some folks there would have some specifics.

person

Huh?

There's a Kona forum? can you post a link?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    There's a Kona forum? can you post a link?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/
    scroll down to manufacturer forums

Can I let go of your hand now princess?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    I had read that you can increase the rear wheel travel of your frame. I also have read that if you do this by buying different suspension plates that it changes the leverage ratio on some bikes. I was wondering if it would affect mine. I have an 02 Kona bear. Thanks again
    www.betd.co.uk
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Members who have read this thread: 0