Top out clunk on my old AM1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Top out clunk on my old AM1

I've been riding my fork for a little over a year. All of a sudden while I'm riding it yesterday I noticed some loud top out clunk. It sounds like the headset is loose, but it's not. The fork works fine otherwise. I really don't like this noise. Is this something I can fix myself or should I just send it to Zoke to fix?

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Seems to be an issue w/ this fork. Mine is about 6 months old, started clunking almost rt away, but only in eta mode. Yesterday started clunking really loud in all settings, & now clunks loudly in compression, like a broken/binding spring. I'll let you know what the wrench @ Zoke says when I drop it off, prob. tuesday.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Keep me posted.I'd rather not send my fork in if I can fix it myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Thanks. Keep me posted.I'd rather not send my fork in if I can fix it myself.
    Try lowering the psi in the fork a little and slow down the rebound . If that doesn't work, replace the stock 7.5wt oil with a heavier weight - say a 10 or 15wt oil.
    This should solve the "topping out" feeling you are experiencing.

mtbr member
    I already run it pretty low and slow. This clunk just came all of a sudden. I've been riding this fork for about a year w/o any clunking sounds. I've ridden it with much higher pressure and quicker rebound and it wasn't a problem. I get this clunk even on small things like curbs or if I pull back for a drop. Something sounds loose in there.

Time is not a road.
    I've heard this clunk before on other Marzocchis when the oil level is low in the damper. I'd try a simple oil change and see what that does for you.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Took my am-1 into zoke valencia yesterday. Ronny repaired & serviced it within around 3 hrs. I have never had that kind of exceptional service for "any" product. He claimed the TAS cartridge was cracked, & replaced it, changed all fluids, even in the tst bladder. All under warranty. Haven't put it back on the bike yet, but it really feels plush & smooth w/ a hand push down.
    I know some of you all have had issues w/ marzocchi services, however I've had only the best from them. Perhaps living in the same local helps....

Members who have read this thread: 0