Too Little Air = Damage?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Too Little Air = Damage?

I have a 09 Stumpjumper. I set-up the rear per the Specialized website with the air pressure for my weight. 155lbs @ 140psi. The Brain is at the softest setting. When I ride, it's still too hard for me. So I dropped it down to 85psi which is much better. My question is will too little air pressure not good for the shock? Help a newb out!

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    As long as it does not bottom out. Manufacturer recommendations usually are on the firm side, and they are only there to get you started. To get the best setup, ride and play around with different pressures until you find what you're happy with.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Unless you're bottoming too frequently and harshly, it shouldn't be a problem. Main air chamber pressures in shocks can usually be set where they work for the rider. It's in areas like boost valve chambers or other places where an IFP is pressurized that too low a pressure can allow oil or air to bypass the IFP piston...not good.

I've always felt that the Brain design from Spec is somewhat harsh on their bikes equipped with it. To me it seems like you can always feel that tiny bit of millisecond stiffness before the inertia, or whatever, valve reacts. Many love the design for its efficiency.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

Members who have read this thread: 0