Tallboy LTc - Monarch + RC3 or 2016 Fox DPS Evol?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Tallboy LTc - Monarch + RC3 or 2016 Fox DPS Evol?

Ok, I need some help guys. Just got a deal on brand new SC Tallboy Ltc, it comes stock with the Fox RP23 rear shock. I had this on my tallboy carbon and I never liked this shock for the VPP suspension. The bike is coming with a 140mm front pike. Those of you with experience on these, please give me your feedback; of course those who own the LTc would be most appreciated. I'm looking for input on these two. Every shop I call seems to tell me the same thing, well you can't go wrong with either of these. I have considered Cane Creek but I'm not to into the constant fiddle of the dials on the CC. I realize the Fox DPS Evol is new but some have it already.

Monarch + RC3 335g $450
    Fox DPS Evol 209g $470

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Ok, I need some help guys. Just got a deal on brand new SC Tallboy Ltc, it comes stock with the Fox RP23 rear shock. I had this on my tallboy carbon and I never liked this shock for the VPP suspension. The bike is coming with a 140mm front pike. Those of you with experience on these, please give me your feedback; of course those who own the LTc would be most appreciated. I'm looking for input on these two. Every shop I call seems to tell me the same thing, well you can't go wrong with either of these. I have considered Cane Creek but I'm not to into the constant fiddle of the dials on the CC. I realize the Fox DPS Evol is new but some have it already.

Monarch + RC3 335g $450
    Fox DPS Evol 209g $470
    Looking for the same info. Bump...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They're not really that similar. Do you want something light with a stiff lockout for climbing? Or do you want something that will hold up to extended rough descents without fading and you don't care that much about smooth trail climbing and weight?

Also, if you're constantly fiddling with dials on your suspension you're doing it wrong, Cane Creek or not. There is only going to be a small sweet spot in rebound for your weight/sag and a somewhat larger sweet spot in compression for your weight/sag/terrain. Fiddling all the time most likely means you haven't bothered to get it set up correctly in the first place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post

Monarch + RC3 335g $450
    Fox DPS Evol 209g $470
    Both pieces on your bike can tuned for your riding weight and frame leverage, which is your best feeling bet. The two shocks you are looking at will still be best served by tunes for you and your bike.
    TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No offense Phillip J, and thank you for responding. I am not always fiddling with my shock, I refer to what I have read about the Cane Creek that many, many report of tweaking it and tweaking it to get it right. I personally don't like that. May I ask, how do you know about the 2016 Fox DPS Evol shock? It just came out...

There are a few people that have it and their reports do not correlate with what you are saying. THey say the shock has great lockout like you say but that is smooth on the trail and its been nice on small bump compliance. It seems you think the shock only has a great lockout, but others have said otherwise. If you even read the review Francis gave on the shock he too said otherwise and this shock was on a VPP bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I didn't say ANYTHING about bump compliance on either shock. I just pointed out that the DPS has a firm lockout (which the Monarch Plus does not) and that the Monarch Plus will last longer on descents because it has a piggyback (which DPS does not).

As to how I know about the DPS shock... it's the "Dual Piston System" the entire point of which was to provide a firm lockout without compromising the Open and Medium positions. If it didn't have a firm lockout then why bother with a specific piston just for the lockout?

It kinda seems you don't really understand the differences between inline and piggyback shocks.

Trail Rider
    Wow.
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Once you find the sweet spot on the Cane Creek it's pretty much set and forget.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have put the DPS EVOL shock on my bike Sight carbon, and for my riding style it by far is the best shock I have ever used. Small bump compliance is incredible and landing small jumps is handled with total control. That been said I've transitioned from X-country to trail riding with not riding anything more difficult than single black in the trail network where I live. Long,,,,, long descents is where most likely a piggy back shock will out perform.

It sounds to me like PhilipJ knows more about how the shocks work than you or myself,,,, or myself at least( I shouldn't assume to know your knowledge). So my take on it is, if you shuttle,,, or do long climbs to earn you descent and those are long and demanding where your riding style will really push the limits of you bike the Monarch+RC3 may be best for you. If your style is more like mine where I never shuttle and usually climb forty minutes out of every hour of riding the DPS EVOL I believe would be a better choice.

That's not to say the EVOL isn't more capable than what I've described,,,, I just haven't pushed its limits yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good points, thank you indebt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey Indent - not to hijack - but what shock/s did you try on your sight? thanks and sorry Rev!