TALAS fork seal leaking: Enduro or PUSH?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Transition Blindside v5
    Reputation: PiroChu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,001

    New question here. TALAS fork seal leakage: Enduro or PUSH?

    I noticed yesterday that the right-leg seal on my never-serviced '03 TALAS RL fork finally started to leak, collecting oily dust along the stanchon (not just around the seal). Time for a reservice... By the way, the fork still works fine, and the leakage isn't so much as to dripping down the leg or anything yet.

    In my case, don't I just need my seals replaced and oil changed (without tampering the left/TALAS side)? If so, my options are either putting the Enduro seals myself or sending my fork in for PUSH's "Factory Rebuild" service (with "genuine" Fox seals), as I've followed numerous helpful posts about them here.

    Since PUSH's "Factory Rebuild" service uses "genuine" Fox seals, I'm wondering if I can ask the folks at PUSH to use Enduro seals with their "Factory Rebuild" service, if I shipped my fork with Enduro kit...? Is this an over-kill? Has anyone tried this? I guess I should call PUSH and Enduro about this. There's also a "reputable" LBS here that may be willing to use Enduro seals while getting their "Fox authorized" service.

    Thanks for your feedback in advance,
    - PiroChu

    PS.
    Until I decide what to do, could I still squeeze in a few~several more rides without damaging the fork?
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-15-2005 at 10:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    In my case, don't I just need my seals replaced and oil changed (without tampering the left/TALAS side)? If so, my options are either putting the Enduro seals myself or sending my fork in for PUSH's "Factory Rebuild" service (with "genuine" Fox seals), as I've followed numerous helpful posts about them here.
    Yes, if all you have is leaking seals then you can just buy some Enduro Seals and be fine. However, the TALAS side is supposed to be serviced every 18 months by Fox (or PUSH or someone else qualified), so if you haven't ever had the TALAS side rebuilt, it might be time.

    I've read PUSH charges circa $20 for the TALAS rebuild, but you'll have to verifiy that amount with them.


    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Since PUSH's "Factory Rebuild" service uses "genuine" Fox seals, I'm wondering if I can ask folks at PUSH to use Enduro seals with their "Factory Rebuild" service, if I shipped my fork with Enduro kit...? Is this an over-kill? Has anyone tried this? (I guess I should call PUSH and Enduro about this.)
    I can't speak for PUSH, but I'd bet they would be willing to put Enduro Seals on instead of the Fox seals. Reports are the 05 Fox seals are better, but my 05 TALAS is already leaking oil, so I'm not that pleased with my Fox Seals now either.

    I'm about to have my TALAS PUSHed. I'll go with the Fox seals for ease, but if this set starts leaking I'm going Enduro Seals next.


    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    PS.
    Until I decide what to do, could I still squeeze in a few~several more rides without damaging the fork?
    I wouldn't think unless you have terribly worn out seals it would harm the fork. Sounds like yours is leaking less than mine and I was riding mine like that temorarily.

  3. #3
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,472
    Based on your description, it does not seem like the leak is that bad so you should be able to ride it. I would go for the full PUSH service but the enduro seals are your choice. The new Fox seals (one's that PUSH uses) are actually pretty good. I've had this dicsussion with PUSH before and they seem to think that the Fox seal are good and will give you less stiction than enduros. Keep in mind enduros use a dual seal system and fox a single seal.

  4. #4
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,884
    Don't quote me but somewhere over here I read that Push did not recommended Enduro seals... maybe I misunderstood or not got it right.

    You'd better make a search on this forum.
    Check my Site

  5. #5
    Transition Blindside v5
    Reputation: PiroChu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,001

    We the people ... Talked to Darren at PUSH, and...

    Thanks, all, for your feedback.

    I just talked to Darren at PUSH (he's indeed so very helpful as frequently posted), and "TALAS cartridge rebuild" for an extra $20 is correct. He recommends it yearly (while my LBS said "on a need-basis"), so I'm gonna get that done, too, while at it.

    Also, though not separately listed on PUSH website, there's a "base valve" kit & turning service for an extra $30 when in conjunction with their $165 "Factory Fork System" service ( = $195), since my TALAS fork is '03 RL (not '05 or RLC).

    If I understood it all correctly(?), this will make my "L" (lock-out) lever as an SPV on/off switch (not a lock-out on/off switch anymore). When "L" lever is on/closed, instead of a lock-out, a platform function is turned "on", which can be adjusted by an additional 12-clicker at the bottom of right-leg. When "L" lever is off/open, the platform function is "off", acting like my fork as is now. It's nice to know that I'll finally have a good use for my "L" lever, which I've never used. (I only got "RL" because the shop was out of "R" at the time.)

    The only thing I won't get out of the $165 service is the "wider adjustment range for low-speed compression", but that's because my "RL" don't have the "C" (as in "RLC"). They'll at least adjust the compression internally per my weight/riding, though, and that's actually good enough for me.


    By the way, if you just go for the basic $129 "Factory Rebuild" service (no customized/platform enhancement), can you still call it "PUSH'ed"??? Nah, probably just call it "reserviced by PUSH", huh? Just joking here, hahahah...

    Thanks again,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-15-2005 at 03:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,976

    Hey Pirochu

    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Thanks, all, for your feedback.

    I just talked to Darren at PUSH (he's indeed so very helpful as frequently posted), and "TALAS cartridge rebuild" for an extra $20 is correct. He recommends it yearly (while my LBS said "on a need-basis"), so I'm gonna get that done, too, while at it.

    Also, though not separately listed on PUSH website, there's a "base valve" kit & turning service for an extra $30 when in conjunction with their $165 "Factory Fork System" service ( = $195), since my TALAS fork is '03 RL (not '05 or RLC).

    If I understood it all correctly(?), this will make my "L" (lock-out) lever as an SPV on/off switch (not a lock-out on/off switch anymore). When "L" lever is on/closed, instead of a lock-out, a platform function is turned "on", which can be adjusted by an additional 12-clicker at the bottom of right-leg. When "L" lever is off/open, the platform function is "off", acting like my fork as is now.

    The only thing I won't get out of the $165 service is the "wider adjustment range for low-speed compression", but that's because my "RL" don't have the "C" (as in "RLC"). They'll at least adjust the compression internally per my weight/riding, though, and that's actually good enough for me.


    By the way, if you just do the basic $129 "Factory Rebuild" service (no customized/platform service), can you really call it "PUSH'ed"??? Probably just "reserviced by PUSH". At least they seem to put on their stickers, either way. Hahahah...

    Thanks again,
    - PiroChu
    I too just spoke with Darren about my Talas, which he will be working on today for my new ride. You are correct on how the fork will function, I'll let your know how mine works next week. Hopefully my new frame will be here by friday, I've gathered all the parts for the build.

    Later,

    J
    Astigmatic Visionary

  7. #7
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,472

    Good for you!

    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    By the way, if you just go for the basic $129 "Factory Rebuild" service (no customized/platform enhancement), can you still call it "PUSH'ed"??? Nah, probably just "reserviced by PUSH", huh? At least you'll get their stickers put on, either way. Hahahah...

    You won't regret your decision!

    In regard to your question above, you are correct $125 only buys you a service which only includes:

    Complete Disassembly/Reassembly
    Bushing Sizing
    Genuine '05-Spec Fox Forx Seal Kit
    O-Ring Kit
    Torco Factory Fork Fluid

    No platform or new valving. So not really PUSH'd although it will come out plusher with the new buchings and Torco Fluid

  8. #8
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    I too just spoke with Darren about my Talas, which he will be working on today for my new ride. You are correct on how the fork will function, I'll let your know how mine works next week. Hopefully my new frame will be here by friday, I've gathered all the parts for the build.

    Later,

    J
    It a TALAS party at PUSH....Mine is going in probably tomorrow if I can make it to Loveland before they close up for the Thurs night ride.

    So what new frame did you get, do tell.

  9. #9
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,302

    additional 12-clicker at the bottom of right-leg.

    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Thanks, all, for your feedback.

    I just talked to Darren at PUSH (he's indeed so very helpful as frequently posted), and "TALAS cartridge rebuild" for an extra $20 is correct. He recommends it yearly (while my LBS said "on a need-basis"), so I'm gonna get that done, too, while at it.

    Also, though not separately listed on PUSH website, there's a "base valve" kit & turning service for an extra $30 when in conjunction with their $165 "Factory Fork System" service ( = $195), since my TALAS fork is '03 RL (not '05 or RLC).

    If I understood it all correctly(?), this will make my "L" (lock-out) lever as an SPV on/off switch (not a lock-out on/off switch anymore). When "L" lever is on/closed, instead of a lock-out, a platform function is turned "on", which can be adjusted by an additional 12-clicker at the bottom of right-leg. When "L" lever is off/open, the platform function is "off", acting like my fork as is now. It's nice to know that I'll finally have a good use for my "L" lever, which I've never used. (I only got "RL" because the shop was out of "R" at the time.)

    The only thing I won't get out of the $165 service is the "wider adjustment range for low-speed compression", but that's because my "RL" don't have the "C" (as in "RLC"). They'll at least adjust the compression internally per my weight/riding, though, and that's actually good enough for me.


    By the way, if you just go for the basic $129 "Factory Rebuild" service (no customized/platform enhancement), can you still call it "PUSH'ed"??? Nah, probably just call it "reserviced by PUSH", huh? Just joking here, hahahah...

    Thanks again,
    - PiroChu
    When i had my 03' RL PUSHED they added this as my compression adjustment

  10. #10
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    It a TALAS party at PUSH....Mine is going in probably tomorrow if I can make it to Loveland before they close up for the Thurs night ride.

    So what new frame did you get, do tell.
    We could have shared the ride!

    I dropped mine off monday afternoon along with a Float R, picked up today at 4:30pm.

    Very happy with their service. Visited with Darren, Jimmy and Christina for a while. Very nice people.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S-Works; 06-15-2005 at 08:51 PM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  11. #11
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,302

    same here..

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    It a TALAS party at PUSH....Mine is going in probably tomorrow if I can make it to Loveland before they close up for the Thurs night ride.

    So what new frame did you get, do tell.
    hopefully ill have it for this weekend..

Similar Threads

  1. How to add Fox suspension fluid on TALAS fork?
    By SingleTrackHound in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
  2. Everything you need to know about the PIKE's Motion Control Damping!
    By MicroHuck in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 10:25 AM
  3. PUSH or ID: A TALAS Decision
    By Ted in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 12:50 PM
  4. TALAS RLC/ Enduro Seals question
    By BurkeVT in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 07:08 PM
  5. Cannondale Lefty Max+ compared to TALAS :my $.02
    By dawgcatching in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 10:39 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.