TALAS Fork - Do you use the travel adjustment?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

TALAS Fork - Do you use the travel adjustment?

Do you find the travel adjustment something you use often, or do you typically just set it and forget it?

On paper, the travel adjustment seems like a useful feature. But I'm wondering if I would actually use it, once the novelty of having it has worn off. I can see where it would be nice to have, but I'm not sure if it's worth paying the weight penalty.

I have ECC on my current (100mm) fork. I like the feature, but on the trail I find that I don't use it that often. If I'm on a familiar trail and I know I have a steep technical climb coming up, I'll lock it down. But, if I'm on an unfamiliar trail, more often than not, I won't. And, often times when I do, I forget to unlock it for the next descent. So, even though overall I like ECC, it's not something I would go out of my way to get again (for a 100mm fork that is, for a longer fork I still think it would be useful). I'm wondering if I would feel the same way about the TALAS after riding it for a year.

Stand back

That probably depends

on your riding conditions. I've had my Talas for about a year, and have not yet gotten tired of twirling the blue knob. Near Denver the trails go up for a while before they come down. When you spend the 1st 1/2 hr grinding uphill, you've got plenty of time to decide if you'd like to adjust the height of the front end. And then unless the trail down has really tight switchbacks, I'll bump it back up to 5" for the way back. I use it probably more for steering angle adjustment as anything else, and have gotten so used to having it, I am really reluctant to get another fork w/o it. And I've said this before, but if they made a Talas that went to 6", that'd be my next fork, so I could slack out the head angle a little more with the rear at 5 or more.

Bodhisattva

I use it....

I really like the travel adjustment and use it on almost every ride.
    The climbs up here often last 30 minutes or more and the downhills are steep & technical. On my Hammerhead I generally keep it at 100mm for the climbs, although sometimes I'll drop it down to 90mm. The front end gets too steep & the bike gets too twitchy if I drop the travel more than that. I generally keep it around 104 for the rolling sections.
    During longer descents I vary the amount of travel between 100-115 depending on the terrain, my mood, etc. . I find that the sweet handling of the Hammerhead remains intact between 100-112mm of travel, and incrementally becomes floppier as the travel is incrementally increased. I rarely open it up to 125mm because the front end just loses responsiveness and the front feels too high compared to the 3.8" rear.

11 is one louder than 10

Yup, sure do.

Not daily, but it's something I use. Both to adjust steering, and for extra travel on the DH's. Generally I run 4-4.5 inches, but when I'm somewhere with a decent downhill, or some stunts I bump it up. The greatest thing about the Talas is that the spring rate seemingly stays the same. It's one of the reasons I haven't tried the adjustable travel Minute III. Only two settings (100, or 130) and my understanding is that when you switch you change spring rate.

Jan 2004

Absolutely

As others have noted, if you get a TALAS you'll most likely use the travel adjustment, not so much for the extra travel but to adjust steering. Switching your shock from 3" to 5" makes an incredible difference in handling. It sounds like most users do the same thing I do - run it in the 100 mm region most of the time, sometimes a little lower for fireroad climbs, and sometimes a little higher for big downhill sections.

I would not want to go back to a fork without adjustable travel, and if I did I'd have to get 2 bikes to have the same flexibilty with the geometry/handling of my one trail bike. Like you, I had a Marzocchi with ECC and I found that I hardly ever used it. The TALAS is the complete opposite - I use it all the time and love it.
    Last edited by Schmoe; 02-25-2004 at 12:56 PM.

Team Blindspot

I was a set it and forget it rider until I tried a Talas

I'm on the Front Range of Colorado, so it's like the previous poster said, first half of ride is climbing, I lower the travel to 90mm. The second half is descending, I'll put it at 120mm.

What sold me on the fork was how smooth it was, like my Zoke coil forks, but I could change the travel and the pressure making it much easier to set and ride.

So I have to agree with most the other comments, I really enjoy the fork and love changing the travel

Trail Rider

Is it on the fly adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    on your riding conditions. I've had my Talas for about a year, and have not yet gotten tired of twirling the blue knob. Near Denver the trails go up for a while before they come down. When you spend the 1st 1/2 hr grinding uphill, you've got plenty of time to decide if you'd like to adjust the height of the front end. And then unless the trail down has really tight switchbacks, I'll bump it back up to 5" for the way back. I use it probably more for steering angle adjustment as anything else, and have gotten so used to having it, I am really reluctant to get another fork w/o it. And I've said this before, but if they made a Talas that went to 6", that'd be my next fork, so I could slack out the head angle a little more with the rear at 5 or more.
    Is the knob on top for easy access to on the fly adjustments? Sometimes I ride trails that go back and forth between steep DH and uphill and I'm wondering if it is useful. I know some hills would work fine as I stop before going up or down, and a knob that isn't on top would work.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    Is the knob on top for easy access to on the fly adjustments? Sometimes I ride trails that go back and forth between steep DH and uphill and I'm wondering if it is useful. I know some hills would work fine as I stop before going up or down, and a knob that isn't on top would work.
    Yeah, it's very easy to spin the knob on the fly. Takes about 5 seconds to go through the entire range of adjustment and the knob spins very smoothy with little resistance (unlike the Manitou or RS offerings).
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Feb 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I have a TALAS on my RM ETSX and love the way I can adjust the travel on both the front and rear of my bike to match the conditions of the trail. When riding a new trail or a trail with quick transitions I tend to leave it in the middle of it's travel settings, but when the hill gets steep it is fantastic to be able to dial in the travel so as to eek out every last ounce of performance your bike can deliver. That way I know that when I finish dead last or am thrown off a line, it is my fault not the limitation of my equipment.......... *sigh*

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Yep, all the time... love it... wish it was available for 29"!

mtbr member

Never

I never use it. I ride in New England where you have really steep 30 second climbs that drop down into a fast rocky downhill. I set it at 5" and let it ride. My bike climbs very well with 5" up front so I don't see the need to drop it.

Perpetually single track
    USe it all the time. Mostly to change the head tube angle. Long climbs here on the front range as already mentioned, and I find my Heckler just climbs better at the 3 inch setting, and bump it up to 5 for rocky/steep descents. I personally don't find a HUGE difference in the steering though.

MBA
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Use it all the time

Yeap, I have a Stumpjumper with 90mm in the back. I Usually set front to 90, then on steep decents I dial in 120mm or so. I love the way it changes the steering, slower and more stable for tricky decents and loooooooong down hills. I get down stuff now I couldn't without it just because the steering is jacked up in the front and more stable.