TALAS 36 vs. Vanilla 36 vs. Lyric UT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

TALAS 36 vs. Vanilla 36 vs. Lyric UT

Just picked up a Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC frame and I need to start picking up parts for it. Fork-wise I am debating between the 3 I listed. I was looking for what people think is the best option. The Vanilla and Lyric are both coil and the TALAS and Lyric both have travel adjust. I have heard of some issues (TALAS mechanism breaking, poor seals, stiction) with both the TALAS and the Lyric, but those are for the older models (08 and earlier?) from what I can gather.

I might just buy whichever one I can find a good deal on first, so is there any reason I should avoid any of these choices?

mtbr member
    If you do a few searches you will find posts about issues with all of the forks you mentioned, seems to be the norm for big travel forks..
    Given that, I would give the Lyrik UT a real close look. I have had one for a while now and once it breaks-in it is a great fork. The dampning is excellent and you cant beat the simplicity of a maxle. One of the most underrated forks our there IMO.

Oct 2007
    foxes have too many problems, and all the problems are unnecessarily difficult to repair. bad seals, rapid wear.. and the highest prices.

rockshox forks have a few problems that are easy to repair yourself, for cheap.

with everything on the market, i have a hard time even thinking about a fox fork.. so many downsides, really no upside.they dont offer anything you cant get from the other brands.

Oct 2005
    Fox: Great dampers, piss-poor execution. Poor seals, everything is priced through the roof. Poor customer support.

I'm converting my 2008 36 TALAS to a Float this coming week. One thing that's interesting about the TALAS and the Van models from 2008 is they have a hydraulic bottom out assembly in the damper. That's one thing the Lyrik doesn't have. The Van might still have it, but I'm not 100% sure.

I like my 36, BUT it isn't worth the money (I got mine on discount), and needs some stuff to get up and running. Enduro offers seals for them, first thing.

I liked my TALAS, but it took some work to do so. There are tons of seals, and it requires lots of upkeep, from the various oil supplies that deteriorate and lead to stickiness, to making sure the stanchions aren't wearing through.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok cool I was leaning a bit towards the Lyric because they are readily available at much lower prices if you look around. I also have a buddy who rides a Lyric on his Knolly Endorphin and he has had no problems with it over 1 year+ of riding. I will probably jump in for one when my first paycheck clears from my new job.

On a related note, the headtube is 130mm on my frame, so would a 7 3/4" steerer tube be sufficient?

mtbr member
    I have the 08 Lyrik coil uturn on my kona bass and it is a brilliant fork, have had zero problems with it, the earlier models did have problems, but im pretty sure these were the 07 ones

Coil u-turn is IMO the only reliable travel adjust system on the market, no complicated piss weak air travel adjust assemblies to deal with

Mission Control damping is brilliant, unlike the fox, (and Marz for that matter) both HSC and LSC are adjustable on the fly because the adjusters are located on the top of the fork, and the floodgate is great for those XC rides we all come across

like JC said, fox are very expensive and have SHOCKING reliability, and can be difficult to service. The Lyrik is piss easy to service,like all rockshox forks. I can remove the lowers, service the damper and replace the lower leg oil in about 20min using the excellent SRAM service videos on youtube

In short def go for the Lyrik, you will be happy with it...

Oct 2005
    I didn't say my Fox was difficult to service.

To be honest, I haven't found my 36 to be tough to service. There are steps, but there's nothing that's not hard to service on the 36 TALAS. I would say the TALAS has some adjusting steps, but so long as one follow's Fox's directions, it's not that hard.

It's not necessarily RS or open bath Zoke easy, or perhaps Manitou TPC easy, but it's not bad. The only thing I don't like doing is dislodging the damper from the lowers using the hammer. The protection cap does get messed up.

Commit or eat sh!t
    I couldn't get my 09 Lyric Coil U-Turn dialed in. 09 Fox 36 Talas RC was awesome out of the box, and no problems so far.

aka dan51
    Another vote for the Lyrik coil u-turn.
    I've had mine for 10 months, and love it. It's super smooth and easy to maintain. There is some bushing play, but on mine it's not as bad as the 36 TALAS I have seen. But the play isn't noticeable when riding.
    The thing I like most is you can almost lock it out with the mission control stuff. The Fox forks have nothing like that, unless it's new for '10 and I just don't know about it.

I would buy a Lyrik again, and not even consider any other fork at the moment.

Go back to school
    Touch choice. The Van's will probably ride better than everything else but you will gain the weight of the coil. My buddy uses a belt for his travel adjust on his Van's and I think he's a badass. I was thinking about putting some Van's on my Faith but then again I don't have to worry about weight.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesair
    Touch choice. The Van's will probably ride better than everything else but you will gain the weight of the coil. My buddy uses a belt for his travel adjust on his Van's and I think he's a badass. I was thinking about putting some Van's on my Faith but then again I don't have to worry about weight.
    Yeah, there were some bottoming issues with the early Van36s, but they seem pretty well sorted out now. Weight is not that bad, they are ~5.5lb, isn't that the same as a Lyric U-turn anyway?

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i'm currently stuck between the float 36 ,talas 36 and lyrik too. which fork will be of a better choice, noting that each forks price tag is +/- 100 from each other.

ps: i dont need travel adjust in my area, but if its available, i wouldnt mind it too. thanks for reading.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Yeah, there were some bottoming issues with the early Van36s, but they seem pretty well sorted out now. Weight is not that bad, they are ~5.5lb, isn't that the same as a Lyric U-turn anyway?
    van is 5.21lb and lyrik u-turn 5.66

Oct 2005
    The worry over like 80 grams on a 160mm equipped bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0