Swinger 3-way stroke?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Swinger 3-way stroke?

How can I know if my 3-way is a 2" or a 2.25" stroke?. Eye to eye es 7.875".

Tanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Did it come on the bike stock or is it....

aftermarket? What bike is it on? Some one might know right off the top of their head if we had the specifics.

Anyway, you can measure the stroke. Most air shocks come with a rubber o-ring around the shaft. This is to help in measuring sag during set up. It's also a good indicator of the shocks performance as you can use it to tell how much travel you have used during a ride. If your shock doesn't have an o-ring on the shaft then a small zip tie can be attached for this check and removed when you are done.

Push the ring up tight against the air chamber seal. Let all the air out of the main chamber and fully compress the shock so that it bottoms out. Now re-inflate the shock. Measure from the air can seal to the ring. That is your stoke. Simple as that.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    aftermarket? What bike is it on? Some one might know right off the top of their head if we had the specifics.

Anyway, you can measure the stroke. Most air shocks come with a rubber o-ring around the shaft.
    Yes, what he said, except that manufacturers' specs can be wrong. I have a 3-way from a Trek Liquid (says it right on the shock). It's the older shock style (not the 2005 shock body). Trek emailed me that the stroke travel on all Liquids was 2.5" for 2003-04 Swingers and 2" for the 2005 Swingers, however, my stroke travel is exactly 2" no matter how hard I try to compress it further, even though the shock is clearly NOT a 2005 (Which was kind of a bummer since I wanted 2.5"!) The O-ring never lies. (Just be careful because not all air shocks can be compressed when you let all the air out of them - some sort of internal problem. The Manitous are fine though).

Members who have read this thread: 0