Swapping Fox internals- Mtbr.com
    Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004

Swapping Fox internals

Anyone here have any experience swapping internals on Fox forks?

I have an 08 Talas RLC (130mm) with a 1 1/8 steerer that I want to put into the Float RL (120mm) that came on my Fuel EX 9.8 with a 1.5 - 1 1/8 tapered steerer crown, and I want to see if anyone has experience with this.

I'll likely be trying it out in the next few days, so I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can swap uppers between Float and Talas. You cannot swap uppers between their air sprung and coil sprung forks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Talas system uppers are sent into a seperate honing process for ultimate sealing, a true polished inner is the result, just so you know.

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    You can swap uppers between Float and Talas. You cannot swap uppers between their air sprung and coil sprung forks.
    Not totally correct, according to Fox. One may convert a air fork to coil (and many have), but once that's done, it won't be convertible back because the coil damages the inside of the stanchions.

It is correct about the uppers being different and the coil models not being swappable into air without changing the stanchions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Not totally correct, according to Fox. One may convert a air fork to coil (and many have), but once that's done, it won't be convertible back because the coil damages the inside of the stanchions.

It is correct about the uppers being different and the coil models not being swappable into air without changing the stanchions.
    Sorry, you're totally right.

I don't believe the Talas uppers go through any different processes then the Float uppers.

Oct 2005
    No problem. It's confusing sometimes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    No problem. It's confusing sometimes.
    Yeah, I was thinking two way swaps, not a one way swap.

Members who have read this thread: 0