Suspension Tool Discussion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Suspension Tool Discussion

Hey Everyone,

The MTBR community is obviously a large DIY community with a large mixture of professional and home-built suspension tools.

My question.....what suspension tool are you lacking, or wish was available? Vise jaws/clamps, hand dyno, bleeding tools?

If you could name one, what would it be?

Darren

mtbr member
    A metric shaft clamp set for a decent price would be nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    A metric shaft clamp set for a decent price would be nice.
    Do you have a specific size range and price?

Darren

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A very acurate shock pump ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bleeding tools - Syringes, cups and fittings etc

Clamp blocks (although the million different sizes makes it hard)

A preset torque wrench just for footnuts with 5mm hex, 10 and 15mm socket bits (most presets are only 6Nm max)

IFP depth setting tool that isn't $200

Work tray for organising parts/keeping shim stacks together (how many threads on here are people trying to find what order their shims go back together?!)
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Suspension Tool Discussion

A Fork Bushing sizing tool would be great. It makes a great difference and has a direct impact on performance/feel but they are either stupidly expensive or people make them. I've found nothing in between.

Apparently this guy can make you one + the lap you need for 140 USD
    http://blueliquidlabs.com/suspension...bushing-tools/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How to videos showing detailed tear down , bearing removal, bearing install & reassembly videos with tools needed and torque specs. (perhaps you guys can start making, rebranding or selling bearing removal tools?) Certain well known brands don't have much info available regarding this, Kona are you listening?

mtbr member
    Shaft vice block 8, 10, and 12mm. 3 in 1 block, not 3 separate.

I have been meaning to make a shock hand Dyno for a while, just can't find the time. Cheapest I can find to buy is $1000. A simple, reasonable priced version might keep me from making one

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'd like to see a better, more convenient way of measuring sag on coil shocks. It seems to me having something like a set of digital calipers that mount to the shock or in the eyelet bolt holes, then lets you reset the length to 0 at full extension and measures the difference when the bike is weighted would be helpful.

I know it's not necessarily in the same line as what you were asking, but setting up coils is kindof a pain compared to air shocks esp. with only one person.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    well, one manufacturer has already found a solution....
    Suspension Tool Discussion-annotation-2019-10-15-140055.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by imbecile View Post
    well, one manufacturer has already found a solution....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-15 140055.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	1286641
    Good luck seeing that while in the saddle.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i'm guessing the bottom-out bumper can do the o-ring's job anyway, apart from many stupid "innovations" SRAM introduces, that's one of the actually practical ones.
    /offtopic

Ontopic - probably shock bleeding needs some...unification maybe? Many people can easily bleed their brakes nowadays, but shocks still require a shop visit most of the times.

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Good luck seeing that while in the saddle.
    Phone on selfie stick

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND View Post
    Hey Everyone,

The MTBR community is obviously a large DIY community with a large mixture of professional and home-built suspension tools.

My question.....what suspension tool are you lacking, or wish was available? Vise jaws/clamps, hand dyno, bleeding tools?

If you could name one, what would it be?

Darren
    When I was doing research to figure out what tools I needed for full service on my Fox 34, I found the Fox official list, then I read on forums that certain tools on that list weren't really needed, you could get by with something household. What I'd like to see is a web shop where a noob can buy a "Service tool kit" for a specific suspension model with descriptions of each tool that comes in the kit and a dropdown menu to add or delete tools from the purchase list. Such as if the noob already has that tool. So getting started would be much easier with all the info in one place. For instance, Manitou has an official wrench for taking off the Mcleod air can but an adjustable wrench works perfectly so the official tool is mainly a gear queer type device.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Phone on selfie stick
    Would shift the weight back...better than nothing I guess, but logistically still a PITA.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    @PUSHIND there are a some folks here who want to do advanced stuff on their suspension (e.g., resize bushings), but most would honestly just like easier means of doing basic services on their forks. You guys already sell your dust wiper/seal kit which includes seal driver, wipers, oil, etc. - what do you think about selling a more comprehensive or "add-on" kit which includes everything you need to service a damper? Bleed kit for Rockshox w/ fluid, or kit for a 36 which includes seals, any other specialty tools? I'm comfortable servicing my lowers, but aside from vice jaws I don't bother buying more advanced tools because they vary manufacturer by manufacturer, are expensive, and you often need to source them from several places.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Not a tool, but a Push air shock would be pretty awesome to see?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike156 View Post
    Not a tool, but a Push air shock would be pretty awesome to see?
    How about a 11/6 with only one valve since a lot of people don't switch valves anyway. The 5.5/3

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    subscribed.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Search tubing flaring tool kits. The tubing holder bar. There are both std. and metric they get you really close to what you need.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    How about a 11/6 with only one valve since a lot of people don't switch valves anyway. The 5.5/3
    That already exists, as the 11/6 is based on the VanRC architecture, Avalanche will make you a custom valved version...or just buy their Chubbie/Woodie. That's basically your once-circuit version. It would be nice if Push got back into the game of modding/tuning more shocks, like back in the day. I wish there was some more competition from competent tuners.

That said, this is an outstanding thread.

mtbr member
    That already exists, as the 11/6 is based on the VanRC architecture,
    How do you figure...because they're both monotube shocks? There certainly isn't any performance similarities and there's no way to tune a VanRC to function the way an 11.6 does.

Back on discussion....what if we were to use the forum as a collaborative tool to design a few items together and then ultimately make them available. So, users have a say in the design, and once we all agree PUSH would make them and offer them for sale? We're obviously a "for profit" company so if this is crossing the lines of MTBR community and business I'll happily step back. Just speaking out loud.

Darren

mtbr member
    ...what if we were to use the forum as a collaborative tool to design a few items together and then ultimately make them available. So, users have a say in the design, and once we all agree PUSH would make them and offer them for sale?
    Darren
    I think this is a great idea, I've already seen a couple of things mentioned that I would be interested in. The mountain bike world has been waiting for the MTBR hive mind to be coupled with PUSH manufacturing, they just didn't know it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    To be honest Iím not sure what tools arenít already out there and readily available with decent quality so the only reason would be to compete in price which isnít really a Push thing so I guess Iím just not seeing the hole in the market here. About the only tool I can thing that is a bit absurd is the Rockshox negative spring compressing tool for the vivids and super deluxe coil but again if Push made one I donít see the price being cheaper. As far as tools for suspension go they donít see as much wear and tear and thatís part of the reason professionals like myself buy snap on, Mac, Matco is the durability but also the lifetime and almost no questions asked warranty.

Elitest thrill junkie
    How do you figure...because they're both monotube shocks? There certainly isn't any performance similarities and there's no way to tune a VanRC to function the way an 11.6 does.
    Is it not the same shaft and body sizes? And it would certainly be possible to tune one to function the way the 11/6 does, except you'd only have one circuit instead of being able to switch to two. In fact, didn't you guys make this exact shock?

An air-shock version that has real high/low circuits would be fantastic though, unlike so much of the half-ass stuff we get with CTD and climb switches...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Is it not the same shaft and body sizes? And it would certainly be possible to tune one to function the way the 11/6 does, except you'd only have one circuit instead of being able to switch to two. In fact, didn't you guys make this exact shock?

An air-shock version that has real high/low circuits would be fantastic though, unlike so much of the half-ass stuff we get with CTD and climb switches...
    It is not. It's similar, but not the same. Just like all of the forks and shocks on the market use similar sizing. it comes down to the packaging constraints that we're all under. The ELEVENSIX is the only shock we've ever made, so no we didn't make what you're referring to.

You say "And it would certainly be possible to tune one to function the way the 11/6 does", but it's not....no mater how good a tuner you are. This is down to the fact that the measurements and things that matter are radically different. Things such as compression and rebound bleed port sizes, metering rod shape, piston port area, reservoir volume and gas pressure......and on and on. Not to mention the most critical component, a valve that uses a shimmed compression vs our 11.6 compression valve system without shims. Again, no amount of tuning or "secret sauce" can make a VanRC valve have the damping characteristic found in the 11.6 shim-less design.

Darren

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Back to the main topic! Do you think thereís ever a chance you could machine a fork bushing sizing tool assy?! That is suspension related, not widely available, not plastic and super useful

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    I'd like to see a better, more convenient way of measuring sag on coil shocks. It seems to me having something like a set of digital calipers that mount to the shock or in the eyelet bolt holes, then lets you reset the length to 0 at full extension and measures the difference when the bike is weighted would be helpful.

I know it's not necessarily in the same line as what you were asking, but setting up coils is kindof a pain compared to air shocks esp. with only one person.
    https://mbaction.com/garage-files-ho...sag-scale/amp/

Coil shocks: Measuring sag on a coil shock requires the help of a friend, and relying on a friendís mechanical ability isnít always wise.

Following the steps below, anyone can set his or her own sag. Using Motoolís Slacker Digital Sag Scale, you can take measurements and make adjustments accurately with no assistance required.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Back on discussion....what if we were to use the forum as a collaborative tool to design a few items together and then ultimately make them available. So, users have a say in the design, and once we all agree PUSH would make them and offer them for sale? We're obviously a "for profit" company so if this is crossing the lines of MTBR community and business I'll happily step back. Just speaking out loud.

Darren

Will we get a portion of the profits by submitting our great ideas? I think PUSH should carry on with building suspension systems that work......forks and shocks. I say this because over the last five years PUSH has gotten out of the tuning business to create systems. So why would you want to branch out into other products but not start tuning? If you want to generate more business then start tuning again. That's my two cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Rebuild tool kits for a certain line of shocks wouldn't be terrible. While you can get the tools individually, having everything in one case for a line/brand of shocks would be convenient. Not sure there is much market for it though.

Something I did recently though is picked up a no-loss air valve off a cheap mechanical gauge. It has been very helpful for improving CONSISTENCY with pressure measurements when setting up air suspension. LOTS of brands are all using the same rebranded Chinese pumps. That cheap mechanical hose fit right on my digital Cane Creek gauge. It's cheaply made though and I imagine it's not going to last for years. A well made no-loss air valve/hose assembly that can go onto these gauges would be nice.
    FOX, ROCKSHOX, CANE CREEK, and many others use the same hose layout and I would bet a single hose would work on a ton of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Shaft clamp set that contained every common rear shock and fork rod shaft size in one tool. End of recurring purchases/ghetto'ing things up. One last purchase.

Graduated IFP depth setting tool. Two pieces (one shouldered) with an internal thread to adjust it to whatever depth is needed. Preferably one with a clamping feature of some kind, so the IFP can be held a minimum depth (hands-free) while doing a final bleed with a syringe. Take all the fanagling out of a bench bleed. Set depth and keep it justified in one spot, bleed with a little pressure, seal things up, charge, DONE. No more romancing the IFP to stay in the right spot.

Edit: A second set of shaft clamps that included the BODY sizes for cartridges and shock bodies would also be a nice thing to have.

ZSW
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Shaft clamps are a big one. A basic 8/9/10mm and 1/2inch one and then maybe some that are product specific would be nice (one for x2 shock and one for fit and grip dampers).

Bleed port adapters would be sweet too it they could be priced around $20

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    One item that comes to mind is a bearing dust shield removal tool. Maybe not what your looking for though.
    I made my own from a nail cuticle tool.
    Suspension Tool Discussion-20181101_085556.jpgSuspension Tool Discussion-20181101_085629.jpg
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ^ That raises an interesting possibility, also.

I'd really like to see better blind bearing extractors for bikes. The ones I've used held up fine, but were poorly designed especially if the bearing was remotely seized in. The Pro Bearing Tools are some of the better ones I've used, but they need some kind of flange on the inner portion to grab the race, otherwise it just pops out of place too easily. I'd also like to see the surface for the punch to be designed in a way (e.g. with a flange on the outside of it) that the punch doesn't slip out of place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Complete kit for Fox rear shock annual service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Echoing a better set of bearing pullers and presses. You can have the best suspension but still get a shitty ride if your pivots are all seized. I have the Bearing Pro Tools kit for my bike and it gets the job done, but it's incomplete (had to find a piece of all-thread to hammer out blind bearings). Also the all-thread for the drifts is really soft and easily marred, so the drift handles are a PITA to quickly spin on/off.

Bulk packs of fork service consumables (i.e. foam rings, crush washers). It's stupid to have to order them individually from Jenson, or buy a bulk pack of RockShox foam rings because Fox won't sell theirs.

60cc syringes with hoses long enough to fill out of a standard oil jug. I got some cheap ones on Amazon but none of my hoses fit well.

A better fork seal removal tool than a tire lever or crescent wrench.

Fox 36 complete service kit (w/ appropriate soft jaws & seals). I personally would let my local shop service my air shocks or Push service my 11-6, since nitro is required, but I feel confident I could handle a complete fork service with the right tools.