Suspension Testing // MotionIQ- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Suspension Testing // MotionIQ

Pretty interesting article! I canít wait for these devices to go mainstream ... the main advantages over the Shockwiz are:

- Work with Coil
    - Get raw data instead of just recommendations
    - Front vs Rear balance

https://bikeco.com/motioniq-the-how-...ata-analytics/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah Iíve been following these guys for a while and itís very promising! Much simpler to use and more importantly, mount than current DAQ systems

I donít think you can even really compare shockwiz to be honest.

Looking forward to the 1kHz version though, the 200Hz sample rate is the only thing I wasnít sure about

Underskilled
    Just throwing sussmybike in to the mix.

It's what I use.

Allegedly in a different league to shockwiz, but I've o ly used SMB.

I do like the data view options on this though.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    I donít think you can even really compare shockwiz to be honest.
    Yeah I know the ShockWiz looks like a gadget compared to this system

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    Just throwing sussmybike in to the mix.

It's what I use.

Allegedly in a different league to shockwiz, but I've o ly used SMB.

I do like the data view options on this though.
    SMB app is terrible. That and ShockWiz aren't up to much at all.

mtbr member
    The main prob with the Shockwiz as I see it is you can't really access any data to look at what's going on and do any analysis. You only get their endpoint recommendations.

There was some kickstarter or something a while back that was using a reel and string on a rotary pot as a transducer. I've lost track of them. There's no reason that couldn't work.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Suspension Testing // MotionIQ

Without being overly complicated! I think thereís a way to create a similar device based only on open source hardwares and softwares (using a Raspberry Pi for ex). So the result can be shared / used / improved by the community!

IĎbe been thinking about that project for a few months now ... being on coil front and back ... and the perfect timing would be this fall/winter. Who doesnít like a good DIY bike project when the weather is crap outside

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    The main prob with the Shockwiz as I see it is you can't really access any data to look at what's going on and do any analysis. You only get their endpoint recommendations.

There was some kickstarter or something a while back that was using a reel and string on a rotary pot as a transducer. I've lost track of them. There's no reason that couldn't work.

That would be SMB.

Their app is pretty awful, but it's getting better.

I've been slating them for years, but the app reached "useful" standard about 6 months back.

They are soon to be adding spring analysis, and they are in the final stages of their new software.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There is another company doing something similar called BYB Telemetry, but the device is very expensive ($1200+) and more professional looking. It looks really nice, but I have a hard time seeing people purchase it outside of professional teams and R&D, most of which already have something similar. Most suspension shops will have a dyno that provides more consistent data and most individuals aren't gonna crank out that much for suspension setup. I'd love to try one, but I'm not sure what their target market is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post

I don't think the ShockWiz records that much data. My understanding is that it really only tracks peaks, lows, and averages on velocity and travel usage in various buckets, determining where you should be using presets in those values. I don't think it provides or tracks the data necessary to provide graphing. TBF, for the end consumer, that's a reasonable way of doing it that works sufficiently well, the only downside is that it's easy to skew the results without knowing it.

The other device you refer to, the SMB Flow, is live now and has been out for a while. I haven't used one, but I've heard the app kindof sucks. I do think it records a bit more useful data that you can use and provides some graphing capabilities, but their presentation needs some work. There is also no spring analysis available, but I understand that's coming soon.

They are testing a firmware update currently that should add more features. I've debated on buying one since ShockWiz doesn't work on my current fork, but it's not an easy device to resell and I'm not sure I want to fork over the $$ for it without being able to try it first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019