Suspension service: at end of season?, or just wait til beginning of next season?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Suspension service: at end of season?, or just wait til beginning of next season?

Hey,
    My bike is basically done from now til March.
    Both fork and shock are in need of a suspension service... Can't decide if I should get it done now, or just wait til March before I start using it heavily again.
    Any thoughts from suspension experts/gurus?

If I get it done now, I'd probably ride it in the spring and get another service done around May/June before a big summer riding season.
    Or, should I just wait til March and get it fresh for the spring then?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Once, Just before you start riding again!

Twice, if you ride during the winter. At the end of the summer because of all the riding done during peak season and at the end of the winter because thereís less riding but the conditions are more challenging for the suspensions.

Keep on Rockin...
    Now. Been down the same road and paid the price. A stitch in time saves nine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do it now, everyone brings their bike out at the start of the season then finds out the workshop is fully booked so they donít do it because they canít live without their bike for a week

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're talking about just a simple lowers & air can service I'd recommend trying to do it yourself now that you have time. Pretty darn simple & it's rewarding.

If you're talking about an Fox X2 or full damper rebuild than that's another story entirely.

What are you working on?
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    If you're talking about just a simple lowers & air can service I'd recommend trying to do it yourself now that you have time. Pretty darn simple & it's rewarding.

If you're talking about an Fox X2 or full damper rebuild than that's another story entirely.

What are you working on?
    Nah, talking about full damper service too.
    Plus, I've done the "easy" ones at home before for lowers and aircan... Rewarding and doable, I agree. But, we've got a suspension service shop in town, and I want to support them, plus they're much better at it than I am.

I just don't know whether it's silly to do it now when the bike is gonna be sitting in a cold garage four months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to hear you're doing most of the easy stuff yourself. If it's going to be a solid 4 months I'd wait for sure.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    If it feels sticky or the stanchions are dry (i.e. no glossy oil film after a few pushes) then they need done.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Seems like "before storage" is the best plan? If you have garbage/moisture sitting in bearing, broken down oil in shocks, dry seals, etc. sitting can make the situation worse as it will allow corrosion to kick in.

Not a bad idea to take it for a spin after service though to make sure everything is working right before you store it.