The stiffest QR skewers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The stiffest QR skewers

hi, i would love to know what the stiffest QR skewers out there are. I have standard shimano ones, but wondering if i can get anything tighter on the front end. cheers

err, 27.5+
    Shimano XT is usually what I use and recommend. They are strong, light enough, have a great mechanism, and are easy to find inexpensive. I think you can get a bit more leverage with the Salsa brand skewers, but I find they gall and wear more at the cam. After fighting with them on one of my bikes I am not likely to mess with them again. Hope has better materials at the cam, but the lever arms aren't as long as the salsa.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks, AL29er its reliable xt comming out again! i might doll my new rebas up with some

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Can quick release skewers really affect stiffness?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Yes.

Stiffest is DT Swiss RWS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    would you reconmend the titanium ones over the steel ones?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're looking for stiffness, stick with steel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlewax
    I'm using the steel RWS skewers. If I was a weight weenie, I'd probably be using the Titanium ones.

Former Bike Wrench
    The FSA Scatto QR are also very good, very high clamping force.

mtbr member
    If they lack clamping force, then the axle can shift in the dropouts under hard braking.
    This is why I use 20mm axles on both my trail bikes.

I also found shimano skewers (xt, deore etc are all functionally similar) to be the best mainstream for clamping force and ease of use.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

Ultimated Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlewax

No, Titanium skewer are dangerous because they flex so stay far away from them on front wheels mounted on supension fork. Stick with stainless steel skewers or better yet a tru-axle for the front.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    No, Titanium skewer are dangerous because they flex so stay far away from them on front wheels mounted on supension fork. Stick with stainless steel skewers or better yet a tru-axle for the front.
    My bolt-on Control tech race clamp on better then most quick releases. Properly tightened they are not going anywhere. I would rather not use thinner ones, nor would I use any quick release skewers, but thick titanium bolt ons are pretty bulletproof by all accounts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Yes.

Stiffest is DT Swiss RWS.
    How much stiffer can those be (compared to xt skewers for examples sake). Depending on how much stiffer it is i may invest in a pair.

mtbr member
    Stiffness is the ability to withstand bending forces. A QR only provides clamping (tensile) forces, it doesn't support the weight of the bike.. So you want it to be strong, but stiffness doesn't matter. For example, it could be made from a braided steel cable, flexible but strong.
    To avoid injury, do not ride with your eyes closed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by billee
    Stiffness is the ability to withstand bending forces. A QR only provides clamping (tensile) forces, it doesn't support the weight of the bike.. So you want it to be strong, but stiffness doesn't matter. For example, it could be made from a braided steel cable, flexible but strong.
    The stiffness of the skewer itself doesn't matter. What matters is that is can clamp down hard and that it doesn't stretch, even under riding loads; this is why titanium isn't recommended up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    The stiffness of the skewer itself doesn't matter. What matters is that is can clamp down hard and that it doesn't stretch, even under riding loads; this is why titanium isn't recommended up front.
    Bolt on titanium skewers clamp on just fine, especially the thicker variety. I would not use a lightweight titanium QR indeed, but then I would not use any QR..

gone for a bike ride
    we have Steel & Ti RWS MTB skewers on all our bikes. i can't tell any difference - the Ti version seems to work just as well as steel

the 9/10mm thru bolt RWS (that came on a Specialized wheelset) are the stiffest though, can really tell the difference with those onboard, brilliant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What benefits do you gain from the 'stiffer' skewers such as the RWS? Would it be the same benefits of thru axle, only to a lesser degree?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What benefits do you gain from the 'stiffer' skewers such as the RWS? Would it be the same benefits of thru axle, only to a lesser degree?
    I'm using a DT Swiss RWS skewer on my Iron Horse MkIII. More than a few MkIII owner's have had their MkIII swingarm crack. Several of us who frequent the Iron Horse forum have the theory that these failures are caused by swingarm flex and that this flex can be mitigated by using a more robust mechanism (than a traditional QR skewer) for attaching the wheel. As I said at the outset, I'm using the RWS skewer. Others are using through-bolts and other mechanisms to try to stiffen the rear end.

Members who have read this thread: 3