Stem for SID World Cup / Carbon Steerer- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

New question here. Stem for SID World Cup / Carbon Steerer

I recently bought a SID World Cup and was wondering whether the Thomson Elite stem I currently have is compatible with the World Cup's carbon steerer, or if I need to switch to a two bolt style stem. Has anyone used a Thomson Elite with a carbon steerer?

Thanks!
    Last edited by tigger; 06-29-2006 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    I have, but am also interested in if we are supposed to. I am little concerned too.. Have been for a good 6 months or so

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Im not sure about this one, But on a lot of carbon steerers (road forks) is a sticker that tells you that you can not use a stem with an internal wedge or a pinch bolt for mountaing the stem.
    It pretty logical that a normal 2 bolt stem has a much bigger clamping surface for the carbon bar, so I would prefer something like that instead of a thomson elite stem!

Oct 2005
    Do NOT use the internal wedge type stem on carbon steerers. If so, you can kiss it goodbye.

For the second poster, there are two types of Thomson stems. The internal clamp model with one bolt, and the current version that has the conventional clamp style with the external bolts that are on the rear.

mtbr member
    the thomson elite stem is a great option for use with a sid wc fork, its very very stiff and sexy... and is recomended by a lot of carbon fork makers. thats what i have been using for the last 3 years.

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/...s/10369.0.html
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Members who have read this thread: 0