Star nut sizing / fitting for Bluto- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Star nut sizing / fitting for Bluto

Picked up a lightly used Bluto today, but need to fit a star nut in it (seller said he removed it to use in his other fork - mentioned a hex fitting - I didn't think there were removable versions?).

ID of the steerer tube is 24mm - I presume OD is 1-1/8". Would a typical star nut spec'd for 1-1/8 steerer tubes work ok? Any issues with off brand (inexpensive) star nuts?

I'll probably grab a setter tool 'cause I may incrementally play with the tube height, so I may be installing / pushing down the star nut - any budget-friendly recommendations?

Any other advice is appreciated if the install isn't all that straightforward.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by salinity View Post
    Picked up a lightly used Bluto today, but need to fit a star nut in it (seller said he removed it to use in his other fork - mentioned a hex fitting - I didn't think there were removable versions?).

ID of the steerer tube is 24mm - I presume OD is 1-1/8". Would a typical star nut spec'd for 1-1/8 steerer tubes work ok? Any issues with off brand (inexpensive) star nuts?

I'll probably grab a setter tool 'cause I may incrementally play with the tube height, so I may be installing / pushing down the star nut - any budget-friendly recommendations?

Any other advice is appreciated if the install isn't all that straightforward.
    A star nut is a star nut. Any will be fine.

Secondly, he probably had a bung, something like a hope aheadset expander. Which you can remove and reuse.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    A star nut is a star nut. Any will be fine.

Secondly, he probably had a bung, something like a hope aheadset expander. Which you can remove and reuse.
    Thanks for the info. That hope system looks intriguing for the possible multiple cuts, but after a bit of reading it seems they're not all that reliable. Not sure how'd they'd perform on a fatbike with all that weight on the front.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by salinity View Post
    Thanks for the info. That hope system looks intriguing for the possible multiple cuts, but after a bit of reading it seems they're not all that reliable. Not sure how'd they'd perform on a fatbike with all that weight on the front.
    The star nut is only used to compress the headset bearings. Once you have them preloaded, the stem bolts hold the fork in place, so you can slacken off the headset bolt if you wanted. You could even remove it entirely.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk