Star Nut Alternative- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Star Nut Alternative

Has anyone used a stemlock and/or headlock instead of a star nut? If so how did it compare?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have been using Hope Head Doctor on my two bikes since about 3 years with no problems what so ever. It is very easy to install.

http://www.hopegb.com/voir_HDOC.html

There are quite a lot of similar designs by many other companies.

As for the stemlock you mentioned - I think it is totally overkill for the task. The job of the starnut/expander plug/stemlock is to preload the bearings, not hold the stem in place.

Hope this helps,
    Stefan

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've been using the headlock for over 3 years now. I'm happy with it.

mtbr member
    What problem does that solves? The description makes it sound like the crown race just needs to be set properly...

aka greyranger
    Another vote for headlock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel
    What problem does that solves? The description makes it sound like the crown race just needs to be set properly...

Thanks everyone for the input - I will probably try one of these systems.

agabriel - it solves the problem of not having to reinstall a starnut when changing forks. This is something that probably should be done by a shop so it can be properly seated but with this 'through stem' type system its pretty easy for anyone to just tighten up the bolt to hold the fork in place.

mtbr member
    Not quite sure what you're trying to achive.get away from not using a star nut The HOPE HEad doctor is about 4-5 times heavier than a standard star nut, so if it's a weight thing that is going the opposite way. If you're not fussed on having a top cap, then just simply use a threaded rod with washers and nuts to adjust the pre-load on the headset and then remove one the stem is all tightened up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    i've got the gussett head-lock
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17766
    no problems at all, looks a lot stronger than a star nut

plus if you have a steerer tube failure they act as a kinda backup
    (not that i've heard of anyone having a steerer failure lol)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There were problems with the bolt of the Hope head doctor snapping with hardly any torque applied, I snapped 2. Not sure if the new one is much better but ended up replacing it with the star fangled nut anyway. I have also used an Azonic Head lock. Heavy but easy to install and very secure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    (not that i've heard of anyone having a steerer failure lol)[/QUOTE]

I have broken a steerer it was a very unleasant surprise

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tommorth
    (not that i've heard of anyone having a steerer failure lol)

I have broken a steerer it was a very unleasant surprise[/QUOTE]

ouch howd that happen?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I used the original Azonic Headlock and then switched over to the Sette one. The Sette one works just as well, but is a LOT lighter. I use it on my bikes once they go over 5" of travel up front. You can general a lot of force on a stem, and I had my headsets slowly loosen up over time before I started using a head lock.

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I used the original Azonic Headlock and then switched over to the Sette one. The Sette one works just as well, but is a LOT lighter. I use it on my bikes once they go over 5" of travel up front. You can general a lot of force on a stem, and I had my headsets slowly loosen up over time before I started using a head lock.
    i bought the Sette one because it's size range was wider the the Azonic ones. My length was right in between the two Azonic sizes, and i didnt want to have to modify it if i dont have to. Anyways, did your Sette seem like it was a loose fit when screwed together (threaded rod into the bottom piece)? Mines not installed yet as i just recieved my fork today and i still need to install my headset. But i noticed it was a loose fit and since it's aluminum to aluminum.... I dont see it working out to well.

Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    you dont want to generate a lot of force on the stem.. that causes headset failures.

actually starnuts provide way more clamping force than you need, easily enough to damage headsets. i cant imagine anyone buying new forks so frequently that they find star nut installation a problem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokart2
    i bought the Sette one because it's size range was wider the the Azonic ones. My length was right in between the two Azonic sizes, and i didnt want to have to modify it if i dont have to. Anyways, did your Sette seem like it was a loose fit when screwed together (threaded rod into the bottom piece)? Mines not installed yet as i just recieved my fork today and i still need to install my headset. But i noticed it was a loose fit and since it's aluminum to aluminum.... I dont see it working out to well.
    Don't worry about it. It's plenty strong and provides more than enough clamping power.

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokart2
    But i noticed it was a loose fit and since it's aluminum to aluminum.... I dont see it working out to well.
    These things (star nuts or alternatives) are only meant to pre-load the headset until you tighten the stem. Once that's done you could remove them if you wanted to. If your headset is loosening, it's because the stem is not properly torqued on, not because of a star nut deficiency.

The weight-weenies frequently remove the cap &/or nut. I wouldn't...just in case I had to do a post-crash stem alignment out on the trail.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith
    it solves the problem of not having to reinstall a starnut when changing forks. This is something that probably should be done by a shop
    Is installing a star nut really that difficult? Mine took me two seconds, and I don't have any unique tools. I didn't reuse an old one (had a new one for the job), but that doesn't really make a difference.

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Is installing a star nut really that difficult? Mine took me two seconds, and I don't have any unique tools.
    No. I use a hammer.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I used a tapered socket, like a 13mm or so, placed on the star nut with the drive-side up, and smacked that with a hammer. This allowed the star nut to flex and go into the steer tube with no problem. It nearly self-aligns, so there you go. JZ and I think alike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Is installing a star nut really that difficult? Mine took me two seconds, and I don't have any unique tools. I didn't reuse an old one (had a new one for the job), but that doesn't really make a difference.

No but this just seemed easier to me. I have done star nuts in the past and just happed across this product and thought it was interesting. I wanted to know what people thought. I really didnt expect the thread to be this popular/unpopular.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I have broken a steerer it was a very unleasant surprise
    ouch howd that happen?[/QUOTE]

was years ago on a mid 90s rigid Yak just went off a 3ft drop across a driveway and when the front hit it just kept going down hit the ground with my hands still holdng the bars. we fixed it by welding a steel rod into the steerer lol. Was a bloody good bike that Yak

mtbr member
    Does this install through the bottom of the fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Does this install through the bottom of the fork?
    A star nut installs through the top of the steerer, and a head lock installs through both the top and bottom of the steerer.

mtbr member
    No but I bought a star nut setter to make like easier and for the $12 I bought it for and fact it sets the depth to the correct seating and all was well worth it over using improper tools to set one. I know your your post is about how it works as compared but if your also a little turned off by trying to set one without the setter I suggest buying a setter to make life so much easier.

As for the component you mentioned............never talked to anyone that has used one to see which one prefers. Call me old school at times. On road bikes with carbon steerer tubes you use a carbo loc or what ever it is called which is neat. Always wondered if you could use one on a mtn. bike steerer?????

Members who have read this thread: 2