Standard rake/offset for suspension forks?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    97

    Standard rake/offset for suspension forks?

    I've searched all around the web but incredibly I can't find anything on mtb fork rake. Either my search engine kung fu is really weak today, or the answer is so obvious nobody even feels the need to mention it

    So: is there a standard rake (offset) for suspension forks? I can't find any number on RS, Fox & co. websites, so I assume they all use (about) the same.
    Assuming there is a widely adopted standard, how much it is? Is it the same across the various travel models?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arne_and's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    253
    To my understanding there is no standard, but perhaps similar forks have similar offset, e.g. 160mm forks generally have similar offsets between suppliers?

    RS Lyrik rake is specified in the "User specification" document (40mm if I read it correctly).

    I think this is a parameter most people don't bother to consider because it is a complex topic. Mechanical trail is not obvious to calculate even when you have the rake, and I think the implications of a change are not widely understood.

    I for one do not really understand positive/negative effects of the (presumably) different offsets in Fox 36 Van vs Lyrik, nor how mecahnical trail changes when I install an angle set and if that should worry me.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    There is generally no "standard" offset for forks. Usually you'll find them in a "range" for various forks. And it is usually depends on the axle and the wheel size the fork is designed with and for. Usually a 26" QR fork will have an offset in the 39 to 42mm range. A 26" TA fork will usually run around 42 to 46mm offset, and a 29er fork will usually 45 to 46mm range with 46mm being the most common. This isn't a hard and fast rule though. There are forks out there that vary. An example would be forks designed for the Fisher G2 geometry frames, which use a 51mm offset for the fork(s). Usually fork travel has little to do with the offset a given manufacturer uses for their forks. Wheel size and axle type have the biggest influence in most cases.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  4. #4
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by arne_and View Post

    I think this is a parameter most people don't bother to consider because it is a complex topic.
    Some of us still have nightmares of geometry class

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    There is generally no "standard" offset for forks. Usually you'll find them in a "range" for various forks. And it is usually depends on the axle and the wheel size the fork is designed with and for. Usually a 26" QR fork will have an offset in the 39 to 42mm range. A 26" TA fork will usually run around 42 to 46mm offset, and a 29er fork will usually 45 to 46mm range with 46mm being the most common. This isn't a hard and fast rule though. There are forks out there that vary. An example would be forks designed for the Fisher G2 geometry frames, which use a 51mm offset for the fork(s). Usually fork travel has little to do with the offset a given manufacturer uses for their forks. Wheel size and axle type have the biggest influence in most cases.

    Good Dirt
    The 26" QR and TA forks I have run exactly the same offset. If they didn't it would require a completely new casting for the brake mount alone.
    Same for 29" forks. All the ones I've looked at are simply longer 26" forks. Same dropout and brake mounting which means exactly the same offset.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    97
    I would assume that for the same type of fork (i.e. travel) all manufacturers adopt more or less the same offset, otherwise you would change trail (-> bike handling) just by switching for ex. from a Fox to a RS, which it doesn't seem to happen in practice.

    And as Dougal says it seems there is no difference between QR and TA (and 26"/29"), so it looks like there is a standard after all, at least for a given travel.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    The 26" QR and TA forks I have run exactly the same offset. If they didn't it would require a completely new casting for the brake mount alone.
    Same for 29" forks. All the ones I've looked at are simply longer 26" forks. Same dropout and brake mounting which means exactly the same offset.
    Per their spec sheet, Rockshox puts a bit more offset on some of their TA forks that have QR equivalents, and even more offset on the models that are TA only.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: codename47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    237
    that's why I chose Float 180 lowered to 160, compared to Float 160 - it has 5mm more offset (42 vs 37mm)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,285
    Quote Originally Posted by codename47 View Post
    that's why I chose Float 180 lowered to 160, compared to Float 160 - it has 5mm more offset (42 vs 37mm)
    It appears that extra offset was required to extend the lowers past the axle. Were you specifically after faster steering?
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: codename47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    237
    @Dougal, don't know exactly because I didn't tried Float/Talas 160mm. Made whole theme about that: http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/n...-a-634759.html . Previous fork was 66 RC2X with 44mm offset so steering was quicker but front distance was too much I think, and to be more centered over the BB I had to use longer stem(to slower the steering also - that's at level ground). But Float now excels 66 like no diving and ramping at the and of the travel so can't compare both.

  11. #11
    craigsj
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Same for 29" forks. All the ones I've looked at are simply longer 26" forks. Same dropout and brake mounting which means exactly the same offset.
    So you're saying the lowers alone determine offset?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    So you're saying the lowers alone determine offset?
    Do you ever just share relevant facts up front instead of posing leading questions to get them to answer incorrectly?

    IIRC Trek G2 29er forks with 51mm offset from RockShox and Fox are currently both designed with all the additional offset in the crown.

  13. #13
    craigsj
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Do you ever just share relevant facts up front instead of posing leading questions to get them to answer incorrectly?
    As though I'm the one spreading the misinformation here.

    Dougal chose to speak over his head. He should be prepared to handle it.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Or, as part of a community we help each other fill in the missing pieces in our understanding and knowledge

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    97
    After posting this question I've done some homeworks and collected offset (and a-c) for a large number of forks. I'll post the list as soon as I fill some blanks.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,285
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    So you're saying the lowers alone determine offset?
    No.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

  17. #17
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,187

    Bump... Research finished?

    Quote Originally Posted by frenk View Post
    After posting this question I've done some homeworks and collected offset (and a-c) for a large number of forks. I'll post the list as soon as I fill some blanks.
    Hi frenk.
    I'm interested in seeing your compilation of fork brand/model offsets if you have it done. Lots of mfgrs don't include this information on their websites, so thanks for hunting.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    97
    Here we go. There are still holes to fill, for ex. White Bros and X-Fusion first replied to my email but then I've never heard back from them. Also SR Suntour is missing.

    Maybe this should be merged with the axle-to-crown length sticky thread?

    Format is [Model]: [A-C]/[offset] all in millimeters.

    26" Forks
    ================================================== ====

    === Fox ===

    32 F80 80mm: 450.9/39
    32 F90 90mm: 460.9/39
    32 F100 100mm: 470.9/39
    32 F120 120mm: 490.9/39
    32 Float/Talas 130mm: 500.9/39
    32 Vanilla/Float/Talas 140mm: 510.9/39
    32 Float/Talas 150mm: 520.9/39

    36 Float/Talas/Van 160mm: 545.3/37
    36 Float/Talas/Van 170mm: 555.3/42
    36 Float/Talas/Van 180mm: 565.3/42

    40 178mm: 545.8/45
    40 203mm: 571.2/45


    === Rock Shox ===

    Argyle 80mm: 460/42
    Argyle 100mm: 480/42
    Argyle 140mm: 460/42

    Boxxer 200mm: 568/42
    Boxxer 130mm: 494/42
    Boxxer 174mm: 544/42

    Dart 80mm: 454/?
    Dart 100mm: 471/?
    Dart 120mm: 501/?

    Domain 160mm: 545/40
    Domain 180mm: 565/40
    Domain DC 200mm: 568/42

    Lyrik 160mm: 545/40
    Lyrik 170mm: 555/40

    Pike 95mm: 473/42
    Pike 130mm: 508/42
    Pike 140mm: 518/42

    Reba 80mm: 453/39
    Reba 85mm: 458/39
    Reba 100mm: 473/39
    Reba 115mm: 488/39
    Reba 120mm: 493/39

    Recon Maxle-15 80mm: 459/40
    Recon Maxle-15 100mm: 479/40
    Recon Maxle-15 120mm: 499/40
    Recon Maxle-15 130mm: 509/40
    Recon 80mm: 453/39
    Recon 100mm: 473/39
    Recon 120mm: 493/39

    Revelation 100mm: 478/39
    Revelation 115mm: 493/39
    Revelation 130mm: 509/40
    Revelation 140mm: 519/40
    Revelation 150mm: 529/40

    Sektor 130mm: 509/40
    Sektor 140mm: 519/40
    Sektor 150mm: 529/40

    SID 99-2008 63mm: 434/39
    SID 99-2008 80mm: 451/39
    SID 99-2008 100mm: 471/39
    SID 80mm: 453/39
    SID 90mm: 463/39
    SID 100mm: 473/39
    SID 120mm: 493/39

    Totem 180mm: 565/42

    Tora XC/SL/Race 80mm: 450/?
    Tora XC/SL/Race 100mm: 470/?

    Tora AM 80mm: 459/?
    Tora AM 100mm: 479/?
    Tora AM 120mm: 499/?
    Tora AM 130mm: 509/?



    === Manitou ===

    Circus 80mm: 458/41.27
    Circus 100mm: 478/41.27
    Circus 130mm: 508/41.27

    Dorado 180mm: 567/49.55
    Dorado 203mm: 591/49.55

    Gold Label 80mm: 460/41.27
    Gold Label 100mm: 480/41.27

    Marvel 100mm: 470/41.27
    Marvel 120mm: 490/41.27

    Match 80mm: 458/41.27
    Match 100mm: 478/41.27
    Match 130mm: 508/41.27

    Minute 80mm: 478/41.27
    Minute 100mm: 478/41.27
    Minute 120mm: 498/41.27
    Minute 130mm: 508/41.27
    Minute 140mm: 515/41.27

    Nixon 145mm: 518/41.27
    Nixon 160mm: 540/41.27

    R7 80mm: 456/38.1
    R7 100mm: 476/38.1

    Travis Single 150mm: 542/43.28
    Travis Single 180mm: 572/43.28
    Travis Single 203mm: 595/43.28
    Travis Double 180mm: 562/43.28
    Travis Double 203mm: 585/43.28


    === Bontrager ===

    Switchblade 26: 445/38


    === DT Swiss ===

    XRC 100mm: 475/41

    XRM 100mm: 475/40

    XRR 445: 445/41

    XMM 120mm: 495/40
    XMM 140mm: 515/40
    XMM 150mm: 525/40

    XMC 120mm: 495/40
    XMC 140mm: 515/40
    XMC 150mm: 525/40

    EXM 150mm: 525/40

    EXC 150mm: 525/40


    === RST ===

    First 100mm: 460/38
    First 130mm: 480/38

    First Titan 100mm: 480/42
    First Titan 130mm: 510/42

    Storm 140mm: 520/43
    Storm 160mm: 540/43
    Storm 180mm: 560/43

    R1 180mm: 555/54


    === Magura ===

    Odur 85mm: 458/42
    Odur 100mm: 473/42

    Durin 80mm: 453/42
    Durin 100mm: 473/42
    Durin 120mm: 493/42

    Menja 85mm: 458/42
    Menja 100mm: 473/42
    Menja 130mm: 498/42

    Thor 150 Lift Select 150mm: 530/42
    Thor Fix 140mm: 520/42

    Wotan 160mm: 540/42


    === Marzocchi ===

    TXC LO 60mm: 466/34.5

    22 100mm: 479/44
    22 120mm: 499/44

    33 80mm: 447/44
    33 100mm: 467/44
    33 120mm: 487/44

    44 LR 130mm: 507.5/44
    44 LR 150mm: 527.5/44
    44 Micro Switch 130mm: 501.5/44
    44 Micro Switch 150mm: 521.5/44
    44 RC3 Ti 150mm: 521.5/44
    44 RLO 80mm: 457.5/44
    44 RLO 100mm: 477.5/44
    44 RLO 120mm: 497.5/44
    44 RLO 140mm: 517.5/44

    44 Micro Ti 29 100mm: 506.5/44
    44 Micro Ti 29 120mm: 526.5/44
    44 Micro Ti 29 140mm: 546.5/44

    4x 100mm: 427/44

    55 CR 150mm: 536/44
    55 CR 170mm: 556/44
    55 CR 160mm: 546/44
    55 R 140mm: 526/44
    55 R 160mm: 546/44
    55 R 170mm: 556/44
    55 RC3 170mm: 556/44

    66 180mm: 568/46

    888 200mm: 581/46

    Corsa SL 80mm: 451.5/44
    Corsa SL 100mm: 471.5/44
    Corsa SL 120mm: 491.5/44

    Dj 80mm: 457.5/48
    Dj 100mm: 477.5/48
    Dj 120mm: 497.5/48

    Marathon 80mm: 455/44
    Marathon 100mm: 475/44
    Marathon 120mm: 495/44


    === Cannondale ===

    Lefty 100mm: 470/46
    Lefty 110mm: 475/46
    Lefty 130mm: 500/46
    Lefty 140mm: 510/46
    Fatty 50mm: 448/46
    SuperFatty 80mm: 478/46


    === Surly ===

    1x1 (80mm-corrected): 413/45
    1x1 (100mm-corrected): 453/40
    Instigator (100mm-corrected): 447/43
    Long Haul Trucker 26: 376/45
    Pugsley (100mm-corrected): 446/43
    Big Dummy (80mm-corrected): 425/43
    Troll (100mm-corrected): 453/40


    === White Brothers ===

    Rock Solid 425: 425/44
    Rock Solid 445: 445/44
    Rock Solid 465: 465/44

    Loop 80mm: 464/?
    Loop 100mm: 484/?
    Loop 110mm: 494/?
    Loop 120mm: 504/?
    Loop 130mm: 514/?
    Loop 140mm: 524/?
    Loop 150mm: 534/?

    Snowpack 450: 450/42
    Snowpack 468: 468/42

    Groove 180mm: 554/?
    Groove 200mm: 574/?

    Magic 80mm: ?/?
    Magic 100mm: ?/?

    Fluid 120mm: ?/?
    Fluid 140mm: ?/?


    === Salsa ===

    CroMoto 26" (80mm-corrected): 425/41
    CroMoto 26" disc-only (80mm-corrected): 445/41
    Fargo V1 50: 442/50
    Fargo V1 55: 442/55
    Fargo V2: 468/45


    === Maverick ===

    DUC32 152mm: 520/47.3
    SC32 121mm: 494/39.7


    === SR Suntour ===

    Axon 100mm: 478/?
    Axon 80mm: 458/?

    Epicon XC 100/140 110/150: 521/?
    Epicon RLD 150/140/120: 481/?

    Raidon 15QLC 140/120/100: 475/?
    Raidon 140/120/100: 481/?

    XCR 80/100/120: 481/?

    XCM V3 80/100/120mm: 481/?

    XCT V3 100mm: 382/?
    XCT V3 80mm: 379/?

    Duro DJ coil 100mm: 489/?
    Durolux 160mm: 547/?


    === On One ===

    Carbon 26er: 440/38
    Carbon Superlight (alu crown): 440/47
    CroMo 26er: 440/47


    29" Forks
    ================================================== ====


    === Fox ===

    F29 80mm: 480.8/44
    F29 100mm: 500.8/44
    F29 120mm: 520.8/44

    F29 G2 100mm: 510/51
    F29 G2 80mm: 490/51


    === RockShox ===

    pre-2009 Reba 29 80mm: 489/38
    pre-2009 Reba 29 100mm: 509/38
    Reba 29 80mm: 486/46
    Reba 29 100mm: 506/46

    Reba 29 G2 80mm: ?/51
    Reba 29 G2 100mm: ?/51

    Recon 29 80mm: 486/46
    Recon 29 100mm: 506/46

    Revelation 29 120mm: 528/46
    Revelation 29 130mm: 538/46
    Revelation 29 140mm: 548/46

    SID 29 80mm: 486/46
    SID 29 90mm: 496/46
    SID 29 100mm: 506/46


    === Manitou ===

    Minute 29 80mm: 490/47.60
    Minute 29 100mm: 510/47.60
    Minute 29 120mm: 530/47.60

    Tower 29 80mm: 490/48
    Tower 29 100mm: 510/48
    Tower 29 120mm: 530/48

    === Bontrager ===

    Switchblade 29: 465/38


    === DT Swiss ===


    XMM 29 100mm: 503/45
    XMM 29 129mm: 523/45

    XRR 470: 470/42


    === RST ===

    M-29 80mm: 490/43
    M-29 100mm: 510/43


    === Marzocchi ===

    Corsa SL 29 80mm: 489.2/44
    Corsa SL 29 100mm: 509.2/44
    Corsa SL 29 120mm: 529.2/44

    Corsa SL LR 29 80mm: 491.5/44
    Corsa SL LR 29 100mm: 511.5/44
    Corsa SL LR 29 120mm: 531.5/44

    Corsa SL RC 29 80mm: 489.2/44
    Corsa SL RC 29 100mm: 509.2/44
    Corsa SL RC 29 120mm: 529.2/44


    === Niner ===

    Carbon Rigid: 470/45
    pre-2009 Carbon Rigid: 490/39

    Steel Rigid: 470/45
    pre-2009 Steel Rigid: 490/39


    === Surly ===

    Karate-Monkey: 468/43


    === Cannondale ===

    Lefty 100mm: 470/46
    Lefty 110mm: 475/46
    Lefty 130mm: 500/46
    Lefty 140mm: 510/46


    === White Brothers ===

    Rock Solid 425: 425/44
    Rock Solid 445: 445/44
    Rock Solid 465: 465/44

    Loop 80mm: ?/?
    Loop 100mm: ?/?
    Loop 110mm: ?/?
    Loop 120mm: ?/?
    Loop 130mm: ?/?
    Loop 140mm: ?/?

    Snowpack 450: 450/?
    Snowpack 468: 468/?

    Groove 180mm: ?/?
    Groove 200mm: ?/?

    Magic 80mm: ?/?
    Magic 110mm: ?/?

    Fluid 110: 503/44
    Fluid 135: 528/44
    Fluid 150: 543/44

    IMV 80mm: 480/44
    IMV 100mm: 500/44

    F135 135mm: 535/43


    === Salsa ===

    CroMoto Grande 29er (80mm-corrected): 468/45
    Enabler: 468/45


    === Pace ===

    RC29 100mm: 510/40


    === Vassago ===

    Odis: 467/45


    === Maverick ===

    DUC32 115mm: 520/47.3
    SC32 86mm: 494/39.7


    === Vicious Cycles ===

    29" rim brake: 470/38


    === SR Suntour ===

    Epicon 100mm: 516/?
    XCR 80/100mm: 481/?
    XCT V3 80mm: 379/?
    XCT V3 100mm: 382/?


    === On One ===

    Carbon 29er Race: 450/38
    Carbon Superlight (alu crown): 470/47

  19. #19
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,187
    Booyah! Wow, that's awesome. Going to cross post this to the 650b fork thread, as it's vital info in that world.
    Thanks!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Booyah! Wow, that's awesome. Going to cross post this to the 650b fork thread, as it's vital info in that world.
    Thanks!
    Ok! Would be nice if someone could fill some blanks.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    63
    Im building up a Niner Emd right now and have seen several G2 forks for sale, would they make a Niner frame handle wierd since they have the few extra degrees of offset?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    313
    Ive been running a 80mm G2 on a Salsa Mamasita with 72.5 head angle and and On-One inbred -- its really quick handling, but I love it. I also have a carbon rigid with 47mm and I think the Fox is definitely faster handling, but it might be a bit lower with the sag and weight on the front thats making the difference rather than the 4mm difference in Rake. My First experiment was on my 26er with a 38mm rigid fork -- very slow conering.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Teigansdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by frenk View Post
    Here we go. There are still holes to fill, for ex. White Bros and X-Fusion first replied to my email but then I've never heard back from them. Also SR Suntour is missing.

    Maybe this should be merged with the axle-to-crown length sticky thread?

    Format is [Model]: [A-C]/[offset] all in millimeters.

    26" Forks
    ================================================== ====

    === Fox ===

    32 F80 80mm: 450.9/39
    32 F90 90mm: 460.9/39
    32 F100 100mm: 470.9/39
    32 F120 120mm: 490.9/39
    32 Float/Talas 130mm: 500.9/39
    32 Vanilla/Float/Talas 140mm: 510.9/39
    32 Float/Talas 150mm: 520.9/39

    36 Float/Talas/Van 160mm: 545.3/37
    36 Float/Talas/Van 170mm: 555.3/42
    36 Float/Talas/Van 180mm: 565.3/42

    40 178mm: 545.8/45
    40 203mm: 571.2/45


    === Rock Shox ===

    Argyle 80mm: 460/42
    Argyle 100mm: 480/42
    Argyle 140mm: 460/42

    Boxxer 200mm: 568/42
    Boxxer 130mm: 494/42
    Boxxer 174mm: 544/42

    Dart 80mm: 454/?
    Dart 100mm: 471/?
    Dart 120mm: 501/?

    Domain 160mm: 545/40
    Domain 180mm: 565/40
    Domain DC 200mm: 568/42

    Lyrik 160mm: 545/40
    Lyrik 170mm: 555/40

    Pike 95mm: 473/42
    Pike 130mm: 508/42
    Pike 140mm: 518/42

    Reba 80mm: 453/39
    Reba 85mm: 458/39
    Reba 100mm: 473/39
    Reba 115mm: 488/39
    Reba 120mm: 493/39

    Recon Maxle-15 80mm: 459/40
    Recon Maxle-15 100mm: 479/40
    Recon Maxle-15 120mm: 499/40
    Recon Maxle-15 130mm: 509/40
    Recon 80mm: 453/39
    Recon 100mm: 473/39
    Recon 120mm: 493/39

    Revelation 100mm: 478/39
    Revelation 115mm: 493/39
    Revelation 130mm: 509/40
    Revelation 140mm: 519/40
    Revelation 150mm: 529/40

    Sektor 130mm: 509/40
    Sektor 140mm: 519/40
    Sektor 150mm: 529/40

    SID 99-2008 63mm: 434/39
    SID 99-2008 80mm: 451/39
    SID 99-2008 100mm: 471/39
    SID 80mm: 453/39
    SID 90mm: 463/39
    SID 100mm: 473/39
    SID 120mm: 493/39

    Totem 180mm: 565/42

    Tora XC/SL/Race 80mm: 450/?
    Tora XC/SL/Race 100mm: 470/?

    Tora AM 80mm: 459/?
    Tora AM 100mm: 479/?
    Tora AM 120mm: 499/?
    Tora AM 130mm: 509/?



    === Manitou ===

    Circus 80mm: 458/41.27
    Circus 100mm: 478/41.27
    Circus 130mm: 508/41.27

    Dorado 180mm: 567/49.55
    Dorado 203mm: 591/49.55

    Gold Label 80mm: 460/41.27
    Gold Label 100mm: 480/41.27

    Marvel 100mm: 470/41.27
    Marvel 120mm: 490/41.27

    Match 80mm: 458/41.27
    Match 100mm: 478/41.27
    Match 130mm: 508/41.27

    Minute 80mm: 478/41.27
    Minute 100mm: 478/41.27
    Minute 120mm: 498/41.27
    Minute 130mm: 508/41.27
    Minute 140mm: 515/41.27

    Nixon 145mm: 518/41.27
    Nixon 160mm: 540/41.27

    R7 80mm: 456/38.1
    R7 100mm: 476/38.1

    Travis Single 150mm: 542/43.28
    Travis Single 180mm: 572/43.28
    Travis Single 203mm: 595/43.28
    Travis Double 180mm: 562/43.28
    Travis Double 203mm: 585/43.28


    === Bontrager ===

    Switchblade 26: 445/38


    === DT Swiss ===

    XRC 100mm: 475/41

    XRM 100mm: 475/40

    XRR 445: 445/41

    XMM 120mm: 495/40
    XMM 140mm: 515/40
    XMM 150mm: 525/40

    XMC 120mm: 495/40
    XMC 140mm: 515/40
    XMC 150mm: 525/40

    EXM 150mm: 525/40

    EXC 150mm: 525/40


    === RST ===

    First 100mm: 460/38
    First 130mm: 480/38

    First Titan 100mm: 480/42
    First Titan 130mm: 510/42

    Storm 140mm: 520/43
    Storm 160mm: 540/43
    Storm 180mm: 560/43

    R1 180mm: 555/54


    === Magura ===

    Odur 85mm: 458/42
    Odur 100mm: 473/42

    Durin 80mm: 453/42
    Durin 100mm: 473/42
    Durin 120mm: 493/42

    Menja 85mm: 458/42
    Menja 100mm: 473/42
    Menja 130mm: 498/42

    Thor 150 Lift Select 150mm: 530/42
    Thor Fix 140mm: 520/42

    Wotan 160mm: 540/42


    === Marzocchi ===

    TXC LO 60mm: 466/34.5

    22 100mm: 479/44
    22 120mm: 499/44

    33 80mm: 447/44
    33 100mm: 467/44
    33 120mm: 487/44

    44 LR 130mm: 507.5/44
    44 LR 150mm: 527.5/44
    44 Micro Switch 130mm: 501.5/44
    44 Micro Switch 150mm: 521.5/44
    44 RC3 Ti 150mm: 521.5/44
    44 RLO 80mm: 457.5/44
    44 RLO 100mm: 477.5/44
    44 RLO 120mm: 497.5/44
    44 RLO 140mm: 517.5/44

    44 Micro Ti 29 100mm: 506.5/44
    44 Micro Ti 29 120mm: 526.5/44
    44 Micro Ti 29 140mm: 546.5/44

    4x 100mm: 427/44

    55 CR 150mm: 536/44
    55 CR 170mm: 556/44
    55 CR 160mm: 546/44
    55 R 140mm: 526/44
    55 R 160mm: 546/44
    55 R 170mm: 556/44
    55 RC3 170mm: 556/44

    66 180mm: 568/46

    888 200mm: 581/46

    Corsa SL 80mm: 451.5/44
    Corsa SL 100mm: 471.5/44
    Corsa SL 120mm: 491.5/44

    Dj 80mm: 457.5/48
    Dj 100mm: 477.5/48
    Dj 120mm: 497.5/48

    Marathon 80mm: 455/44
    Marathon 100mm: 475/44
    Marathon 120mm: 495/44


    === Cannondale ===

    Lefty 100mm: 470/46
    Lefty 110mm: 475/46
    Lefty 130mm: 500/46
    Lefty 140mm: 510/46
    Fatty 50mm: 448/46
    SuperFatty 80mm: 478/46


    === Surly ===

    1x1 (80mm-corrected): 413/45
    1x1 (100mm-corrected): 453/40
    Instigator (100mm-corrected): 447/43
    Long Haul Trucker 26: 376/45
    Pugsley (100mm-corrected): 446/43
    Big Dummy (80mm-corrected): 425/43
    Troll (100mm-corrected): 453/40


    === White Brothers ===

    Rock Solid 425: 425/44
    Rock Solid 445: 445/44
    Rock Solid 465: 465/44

    Loop 80mm: 464/?
    Loop 100mm: 484/?
    Loop 110mm: 494/?
    Loop 120mm: 504/?
    Loop 130mm: 514/?
    Loop 140mm: 524/?
    Loop 150mm: 534/?

    Snowpack 450: 450/42
    Snowpack 468: 468/42

    Groove 180mm: 554/?
    Groove 200mm: 574/?

    Magic 80mm: ?/?
    Magic 100mm: ?/?

    Fluid 120mm: ?/?
    Fluid 140mm: ?/?


    === Salsa ===

    CroMoto 26" (80mm-corrected): 425/41
    CroMoto 26" disc-only (80mm-corrected): 445/41
    Fargo V1 50: 442/50
    Fargo V1 55: 442/55
    Fargo V2: 468/45


    === Maverick ===

    DUC32 152mm: 520/47.3
    SC32 121mm: 494/39.7


    === SR Suntour ===

    Axon 100mm: 478/?
    Axon 80mm: 458/?

    Epicon XC 100/140 110/150: 521/?
    Epicon RLD 150/140/120: 481/?

    Raidon 15QLC 140/120/100: 475/?
    Raidon 140/120/100: 481/?

    XCR 80/100/120: 481/?

    XCM V3 80/100/120mm: 481/?

    XCT V3 100mm: 382/?
    XCT V3 80mm: 379/?

    Duro DJ coil 100mm: 489/?
    Durolux 160mm: 547/?


    === On One ===

    Carbon 26er: 440/38
    Carbon Superlight (alu crown): 440/47
    CroMo 26er: 440/47


    29" Forks
    ================================================== ====


    === Fox ===

    F29 80mm: 480.8/44
    F29 100mm: 500.8/44
    F29 120mm: 520.8/44

    F29 G2 100mm: 510/51
    F29 G2 80mm: 490/51


    === RockShox ===

    pre-2009 Reba 29 80mm: 489/38
    pre-2009 Reba 29 100mm: 509/38
    Reba 29 80mm: 486/46
    Reba 29 100mm: 506/46

    Reba 29 G2 80mm: ?/51
    Reba 29 G2 100mm: ?/51

    Recon 29 80mm: 486/46
    Recon 29 100mm: 506/46

    Revelation 29 120mm: 528/46
    Revelation 29 130mm: 538/46
    Revelation 29 140mm: 548/46

    SID 29 80mm: 486/46
    SID 29 90mm: 496/46
    SID 29 100mm: 506/46


    === Manitou ===

    Minute 29 80mm: 490/47.60
    Minute 29 100mm: 510/47.60
    Minute 29 120mm: 530/47.60

    Tower 29 80mm: 490/48
    Tower 29 100mm: 510/48
    Tower 29 120mm: 530/48

    === Bontrager ===

    Switchblade 29: 465/38


    === DT Swiss ===


    XMM 29 100mm: 503/45
    XMM 29 129mm: 523/45

    XRR 470: 470/42


    === RST ===

    M-29 80mm: 490/43
    M-29 100mm: 510/43


    === Marzocchi ===

    Corsa SL 29 80mm: 489.2/44
    Corsa SL 29 100mm: 509.2/44
    Corsa SL 29 120mm: 529.2/44

    Corsa SL LR 29 80mm: 491.5/44
    Corsa SL LR 29 100mm: 511.5/44
    Corsa SL LR 29 120mm: 531.5/44

    Corsa SL RC 29 80mm: 489.2/44
    Corsa SL RC 29 100mm: 509.2/44
    Corsa SL RC 29 120mm: 529.2/44


    === Niner ===

    Carbon Rigid: 470/45
    pre-2009 Carbon Rigid: 490/39

    Steel Rigid: 470/45
    pre-2009 Steel Rigid: 490/39


    === Surly ===

    Karate-Monkey: 468/43


    === Cannondale ===

    Lefty 100mm: 470/46
    Lefty 110mm: 475/46
    Lefty 130mm: 500/46
    Lefty 140mm: 510/46


    === White Brothers ===

    Rock Solid 425: 425/44
    Rock Solid 445: 445/44
    Rock Solid 465: 465/44

    Loop 80mm: ?/?
    Loop 100mm: ?/?
    Loop 110mm: ?/?
    Loop 120mm: ?/?
    Loop 130mm: ?/?
    Loop 140mm: ?/?

    Snowpack 450: 450/?
    Snowpack 468: 468/?

    Groove 180mm: ?/?
    Groove 200mm: ?/?

    Magic 80mm: ?/?
    Magic 110mm: ?/?

    Fluid 110: 503/44
    Fluid 135: 528/44
    Fluid 150: 543/44

    IMV 80mm: 480/44
    IMV 100mm: 500/44

    F135 135mm: 535/43


    === Salsa ===

    CroMoto Grande 29er (80mm-corrected): 468/45
    Enabler: 468/45


    === Pace ===

    RC29 100mm: 510/40


    === Vassago ===

    Odis: 467/45


    === Maverick ===

    DUC32 115mm: 520/47.3
    SC32 86mm: 494/39.7


    === Vicious Cycles ===

    29" rim brake: 470/38


    === SR Suntour ===

    Epicon 100mm: 516/?
    XCR 80/100mm: 481/?
    XCT V3 80mm: 379/?
    XCT V3 100mm: 382/?


    === On One ===

    Carbon 29er Race: 450/38
    Carbon Superlight (alu crown): 470/47
    Thanks! This was very helpful!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Teigansdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    148
    Don't suppose anyone knows the offset of the xfusion slide?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174
    per Xfusion, "Offset is 39mm". But that's for the Slant. BTW...I'm loving my Velvet's damping more than my Fox RLC of the same year.
    Last edited by howard619; 12-12-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: misinformation

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Teigansdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    148
    @howard
    Xfusion got back to me today...the offset for the slide is 46mm.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    per Xfusion, "Offset is 39mm". But that's for the Velvet. BTW...I'm loving my Velvet more than my Fox RLC of the same year.
    Edit : I meant Slant. The Slant is 39mm. Velvet is 42. As much as I love the suspension action of the Velvet, it will be even better on the Slant at 39 for my application, a 2012 Kona Steely hardtail.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Teigansdad View Post
    @howard
    Xfusion got back to me today...the offset for the slide is 46mm.
    Looks like Xfusion is embracing traditional offsets, while Fox is increasing offset. Their 29 offering has a 52mm offset.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8
    Thak you Frenk!
    Yuor list is very helpful.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,192
    White Brothers Loop for is 45mm for tapered models and 42mm for 1 1/8" models
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16
    I was wondering if someone can please help out a beginner mountain biker.

    I've been doing a lot of reading so as to not post duplicate questions, but now would like some clarification. I purchased a 2013 Diamondback Overdrive for 370 dollars to try the sport, and am quickly getting addicted to riding the local trails, as I've put on over 80 miles the first 3 weeks I've had my bike.

    Looking at upgrades, the first thing I would like to upgrade is the front fork (well, and the seat but that's simple). Taking advice from this website, I have the fork narrowed down between the Manitou Tower Pro and the Rock Shox Reba, (or recon gold), depending on which fork goes on a killer sale first. Preferably around 300 (or less)

    Now, gathering information about what I need, I believe I need a 1 1/8" steerer, with a 100mm travel (my current fork is 100mm so I assume keep the same?), and a 9mm QR.

    Now, I thought I had done all the necessary research to order a fork, but now I'm reading about "offsets". According to the Diamondback website, my particular bike says it has a 38.0 mm offset. Will that matter when buying a new fork? The manitou tower pro I was looking at said it had a 48 mm offset.

    I might be talking out of my ass here since I'm brand spankin' new to this sport, but I tried reading and learning as much as I could before coming here to you guys, so any help would be appreciated.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    883

    Title fits my question and has a bunch of good info, but not updated for some time...

    ... So do companies generally stick with an offset in a paticular class of fork? Noticing that most current Manitou forks offset at 41.27mm, and have been that way for some years. It's been a little difficult to find official offset info on Rockshox, though, I found this unofficial thread; and until Thursday the 3rd, when everyone at SRAM gets back to work, this is the only place I know to ask some questions. Does the RS Recon Gold 26" TK still have a 39mm offset?

    I'm currently running a XCM v2 26" [garbage]fork. The XMC series fork is believed to have an offset of 42mm, and I would like to stay as close as possible to the factory specified build geometry. The RS Recon Gold 26" TK, I presume, still uses a 39mm offset, I can get this fork at a good deal. Though, I've also been looking at the Manitou Circus Expert that has a 41.27mm offset and is close to the same price as the Recon Gold TK. I've read lots of great reviews on both, however, I'm really liking that the Circus Expert comes as a 20mm TA. Is the Circus Expert going to have more lower leg torsional stiffness than a Recon Gold TK using the Ebay~MTBtools; 15mm to 9mm RWS adapter, coupled with a DT Swiss 9mm RWS skewer?

    I like to ride my Giant Boulder SE frame that I got on the cheap in Urban Assault and mixed AM/XC, but the current fork is just not meant for such riding. Regardless of the fork being garbage, using the stock Giant 60mm x 7 stem and steel 25.4" x 50mm riser bars, the bike has good control in descents. I do plan on getting a like spec stem, but the handlebars I get will be longer with the same 50mm rise, after I get the fork and front wheel figured out.

    I'll appreciate all of your guys feed-back!
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lordie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    171
    anyone knows the DNM inverted fork offset is?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    Sorry to drag this up but offset was never really explained. Offset along with head angle determines trail. Trail is the distance from where the steering center intersects the ground and the center of the tire contact patch. More trail generally gives greater high speed stability and less gives quicker steering and more maneuverability at low speeds. By pushing the contact patch further forward towards the steering center increased offset reduces trail while less offset increases trail.

    I like more trail on all my bikes whether MTB, road, or cyclocross. Compared to motorcycles bicycles have ridiculously steep head angles and steer very quickly. Steering effort is very low regardless of geometry. So frankly I like the stability. I still use a long 125mm stem and relatively narrow 600mm bars on my 29r's. With the current trend of very short stems and very wide bars I think most should stay with short offsets to enhance high speed stability.

  35. #35
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,540
    125MM?

    Jesus, my road race bike s shorter than that!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    Mine too.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 07:37 AM
  2. Listing of 29er forks (suspension) and offset
    By Big Pig in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 06:40 AM
  3. offset/rake
    By ONESPDCX in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 05:13 PM
  4. Fox 32 offset/rake?
    By Dazed in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 05:18 AM
  5. pike rake/offset
    By b12yan88 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 12:00 AM

Members who have read this thread: 45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.