Stanchion has a scratch / gouge.....- Mtbr.com
    Living Life Behind Bars..

Stanchion has a scratch / gouge.....

Is this a big deal ? I don't know how it got there but it is not too deep (vertical) and the fork is a older Rock Shock sid ( black 80 mm )

Thanks

Apr 2006
    If the fork does not leak oil from seal don't worry about it, otherwise get some super glue or JB weld and sand it with very fine sand paper. Hope this helps you

EDR
    I've fixed two forks with scratches that leaked oil.

this way:
    1) thin coat of superglue
    2) sand when dry with 2000 or greater 'wet sand' paper. Careful not to use direct finger pressure over the area or the glue just gets removed from the scratch.
    3) repeat if needed.

Both forks sealed perfectly and if done properly you can't even feel the scratches with your fingernail.

Harky
    Jan 2006
    It may not be a big deal at all...
    Check your stanchion around the gouge to make sure there is no material sticking up from the surface. If there is, then your seal and maybe your bushings will get damaged. Use a fine toothed file, NOT sandpaper, to carefully remove any high spots. Don't worry about filling in the low spots. You risk screwing up the seal or the bushing with loose material that didn't or won't stick.
    I've had this happen to me, and if you take care of it right away (i.e. smoothing it out), you may save your seal and not have any oil leak.

My arm hurts a little
    Sandpaper I don't think so!!!!!!!

Clear Nail Polish!!!!!!!!!!! leave it for a night. Then go ride it as hard as you can the next day. The Heat from the Fork & seals will AUTO sand the Polish to it's original Cond.

I've done it a few times and so has my crew. Works wonders!!!! You can still see the scratch but you can't feel it. (never had a leak or busted a seal from doing this)

And if it's not a Scratch and you have a deep gouge. Get it Replaced ASAP.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Living Life Behind Bars..
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try this weekend. Cheers !

EDR
    SANDPAPER! no way!

People, I'm talking 2500 grit wet sand. It's like emery cloth. Nothing more than 'rough' paper at best. Not like 80 grit, geez. My point is it works great. Use emery cloth or your wifes undies, or whatever. It won't remove the ano....It's not rocket science... good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0