Stair Jump Compression- Mtbr.com
    MTBiker
    Oct 2006

Stair Jump Compression

Jumping stairs to a flat surface, is that low or high speed compression I should adjust? It will bottom out with 7 stairs or more...

Right now I have no compression damping. Very nice for trails but not jumps or drops.
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    high speed

think about how fast the suspension is working. when you take big hits and bumps, the suspension is moving fast...thus high speed compression.

body and weight induced movement like pedal bob and brake dive are slower...low speed compression.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kuksul08
    Jumping stairs to a flat surface, is that low or high speed compression I should adjust? It will bottom out with 7 stairs or more...

Right now I have no compression damping. Very nice for trails but not jumps or drops.
    That would be high speed, but it really depends on the shock you are talking about whether this is an issue of cranking the compression damping or going to a stiffer spring (or more air pressure). Try the high speed and see if it helps without making the ride harsh.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    That would be high speed, but it really depends on the shock you are talking about whether this is an issue of cranking the compression damping or going to a stiffer spring (or more air pressure). Try the high speed and see if it helps without making the ride harsh.

Thanks.

It's hard to find the sweet spot for doing drops, and having a supple ride in the rock gardens and gnarly trails.

It's a 6 way swinger. I have about 70psi in the chamber (50-170 range). It's incredibly soft and soaks up everything, but just flies through travel. Also there is a 400# spring. I will try the high speed only, then maybe have to increase air pressure I guess?
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Thanks.

It's hard to find the sweet spot for doing drops, and having a supple ride in the rock gardens and gnarly trails.

It's a 6 way swinger. I have about 70psi in the chamber (50-170 range). It's incredibly soft and soaks up everything, but just flies through travel. Also there is a 400# spring. I will try the high speed only, then maybe have to increase air pressure I guess?
    Doesn't that shock have bottom-out control? I thought you could make the air chamber smaller so that the compression damping would ramp up more towards the end?

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Doesn't that shock have bottom-out control? I thought you could make the air chamber smaller so that the compression damping would ramp up more towards the end?

It does. I have it turned in about 3 turns out of 5

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Have you tried turning it in more?

I believe your shock is pretty much the same setup as the 5th Element Coil. If you do a search on tuning tips for that shock, they will likely apply to yours as well. Of course, searching for tips on the swinger 6-way is also obviously a good idea, they are just not as common.

Also, this site used to have tuning tips for the 5th Coil:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/

Maybe it is still in there somewhere.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Here's the tuning page:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/faq/element_coil.aspx

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Update: Turned up the air pressure to 150psi (sounds high), also gave it 1 turn of high speed compression. Feels way more responsive now, doesn't bottom, and still plush.

Members who have read this thread: 0