Springs For PIKES- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Springs For PIKES

What springs come stock in the '05 PIKE Team coil U-Turn forks? I just bought one, but haven't been able to ride it yet while waiting for my wheel to be built. I weigh about 165 geared up. Which spring should I get?

Also, I have a silly question. Are there two coils in there or just one? Its been a long time since I had a coil fork, and these new forks are quite different from the old 1998 Z1 I had of old.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    What springs come stock in the '05 PIKE Team coil U-Turn forks? I just bought one, but haven't been able to ride it yet while waiting for my wheel to be built. I weigh about 165 geared up. Which spring should I get?

Also, I have a silly question. Are there two coils in there or just one? Its been a long time since I had a coil fork, and these new forks are quite different from the old 1998 Z1 I had of old.
    There is one coil, and the stock spring is a med. It should be fine for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    There is one coil, and the stock spring is a med. It should be fine for you.
    Thanks. I can't wait to ride this new puppy at speed down some rocky terrain. Cool, 20mm with a coil spring!!!

hands up who wants to die
    Myitech -
    I am the same weight as you... 145 naked, so maybe a little more than you clothed with 100 oz of water in the camelbak, etc.

I *mostly* like the stock spring on the 05 Pike Team, but I've bottomed it hard twice now (in 8 months) with the resultant sore wrists; both times on roughly 5' drops. I may go to the next spring up, as I hate harsh bottom-outs with a passion, and I've been doing more drops lately.
    I'm still thinking it over since my local trails have many many small rocks, so I can't dispense with small-bump compliance.

If you don't do much FR-type stuff, you will be fine with the stock spring.

-rob in NY
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    Myitech -
    I am the same weight as you... 145 naked, so maybe a little more than you clothed with 100 oz of water in the camelbak, etc.

I *mostly* like the stock spring on the 05 Pike Team, but I've bottomed it hard twice now (in 8 months) with the resultant sore wrists; both times on roughly 5' drops. I may go to the next spring up, as I hate harsh bottom-outs with a passion, and I've been doing more drops lately.
    I'm still thinking it over since my local trails have many many small rocks, so I can't dispense with small-bump compliance.

If you don't do much FR-type stuff, you will be fine with the stock spring.

-rob in NY
    Cool. sounds like it should work fine for me in stock form, especially since i retired myself from doing drops and freeride. now its aggro trail riding. just fast, rocky stuff, minimal air time.

Members who have read this thread: 0