spring upgrade for RS Lyrik- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

spring upgrade for RS Lyrik

I'm believing that I should be getting a more heavy duty spring in my Lyrik U-turn. Any help determining whether or not I should get one would be helpful, but it already seems clear as I need to set my fork to the hardest compression resistance setting in order to prevent it from topping out on some 'bigger' stunts. It doesn't always come as close, but it seems like something that I should take care of.

Anyways, how can I find out what spring is already in there? I don't know if RS has a standard spring in it or not. I'm hoping to upgrade and could use some help determining which one.

I weigh 191 (depending on what I've eaten..as usual.) FWIW

mtbr member
    The stock spring is a medium. It will have a red line painted on the side of it, and is rated for 160-180lbs riders. But those ratings tend to be on the low side, so 190lbs should be pretty close. If you want to move up a spring, google "Rock Shoxs Lyrik U-turn firm spring" and click on the shopping results. Your other option is to buy shims and reshim the high speed compression shim stack. The stock stacks are fairly weak, Even in the new Lyriks. http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen....html#poststop

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    The stock spring is a medium. It will have a red line painted on the side of it, and is rated for 160-180lbs riders. But those ratings tend to be on the low side, so 190lbs should be pretty close. If you want to move up a spring, google "Rock Shoxs Lyrik U-turn firm spring" and click on the shopping results. Your other option is to buy shims and reshim the high speed compression shim stack. The stock stacks are fairly weak, Even in the new Lyriks. http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen....html#poststop
    When I'm all geared up, I could be easily over 200 pounds-so I think getting the firm spring would be a good idea. I notice that, after reading around a little, people who ride with the medium spring generally talk about drops (with smooth transitional landings) around 3-5 and that the firm spring would be better for 6+, which I've been doing more of.

Thanks for linking the information about the shim stack. That's something that I'll definitely consider as I was not aware of that. I think that I am going to try the spring first and the shim stack second though. Both sound like a nice way to customize the feel of my suspension.

Ultimate bummer though is my rear shock losing 20 psi on just one run-stinking RS already warrantied it once too.
    Now I hope for a replacement.

mtbr member
    I am in the same situations. Im 160 and change between the soft and medium springs depending on where I am riding. The soft spring gives awesome small bump sensitivity, But harshly bottoms on larger hits. The medium spring takes big hits well, but small bumps are fairly harsh. Im still working on finding a sweet spot.

What rear shock do you have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I am in the same situations. Im 160 and change between the soft and medium springs depending on where I am riding. The soft spring gives awesome small bump sensitivity, But harshly bottoms on larger hits. The medium spring takes big hits well, but small bumps are fairly harsh. Im still working on finding a sweet spot.

What rear shock do you have?
    I'm probably going to feel the firm spring in my arms after a day of riding some of the trails that have a lot of smaller water bars and natural spots for it, but it seems like a good move. I am getting tired of running with the highest resistance setting though, so I hope to find it not as harsh. If I have to go further for comfort on the matter, then I'll probably end up reshimming it. It's nice to see that it has the availability to get tuned to a fair degree.

My rear shock is a Monarch R. I'm a little annoyed with the integrity of the company for sending it back to me still leaking.