Spring Rate- Mtbr.com

Thread: Spring Rate

Jun 2006

Spring Rate

Just got a 5th Element 5 way with a 400lb spring, which is way to heavy for me. I went to TFTuned's spring calculator and it said I needed a 332lb spring but they only make 300's and 350's that will fit my shock. This is on a DH bike so plush ness is a must but it should also be able to take drops without bottoming. I have heard that the shock itself will not bottom out if set up correctly and that the spring rate does nothing but set sag. What do you guys think?

Jun 2005
    you do need the proper spring to prevent bottoming.. the spring works in conjunction with the valving. when you got the recomended spring weight, did you also add in what gear you typically carry? id say go with the 300 if your smooth, you can use the comp to stiffen it up, along with adding a bit more preload. the 350 if you like to bomb down the hill and hit bigger drops. the calculator said 332, which is also closer to 350 than 300.

Jun 2006
    thanks, I think I'll go with the 300 and set the shock for higher compression and preload. I'll just keep my 400 for if I want to go hucking or hit some bigger drops.

Members who have read this thread: 0