Split Pivot?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Split Pivot?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Split Pivot?

07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    AFAIK, SplitPivot has the brake mount on the seatstay to isolate braking forces from the suspension (a la horst link), the 7 has the mount on the chainstay
    Last edited by crisillo; 09-26-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Chilling out
    Isn't Trek running print ads at the moment for a new Fuel Ex (9.5?) that uses a concentric pivot on the rear axle?

addendum: linky to bikemagic article

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    erm ya, but both Trek and Dave announced the concentric pivot around the same time, so it hasnt been confirmed which party rightfully own the patent.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    AFAIK, SplitPivot has the brake mount on the setastay to isolate braking forces from the suspension (a la horst link), the 7 has the mount on the chainstay
    This has been discussed at length on the Iron Horse forum. Split Pivot is more than just a repositioning of the brake mount. Traditional pivot location designs can be optimized either for pedal acceleration force, or for braking force, or a compromise somewhere between. The Split Pivot allows a more optimum pivot location for both braking & acceleration forces on the same bike. So just because you see what appears to be a split pivot doesn't mean that the design work has been done to optimize the pivot location.

DW states that the Split Pivot doesn't give the anti-squat (reduced pedal-bob) benefit of a DW-Link suspension, but it is an improvement over traditional single-pivot designs. The manufacturing tollerances for the Split Pivot are not as tight as for the DW-Link (& probably most other link suspensions), which should make it available at a lower price-point.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    DW states that the Split Pivot doesn't give the anti-squat (reduced pedal-bob) benefit of a DW-Link suspension, but it is an improvement over traditional single-pivot designs. The manufacturing tollerances for the Split Pivot are not as tight as for the DW-Link (& probably most other link suspensions), which should make it available at a lower price-point.
    Yup, you get it all right, Ibis forum had a very long discussion about DW Link and in DW Link world 1mm difference will result in a big difference in DW Link performance. Single Pivot doesnt require such tight tollerances.

Anyway it makes me wonder if DW patent brake mounting position for Split Pivot
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix
    So just because you see what appears to be a split pivot doesn't mean that the design work has been done to optimize the pivot location.
    I never claimed this.. I just wanted to say that the Yeti Seven is NOT a split pivot bike by pointing the location of the brake mount....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I never claimed this.. I just wanted to say that the Yeti Seven is NOT a split pivot bike by pointing the location of the brake mount....
    I think it depends on the patent statement, cause if DW patent the location of the brake mount then its a SP but if he didn, it could mean Yeti chose to locate the brake mount on the chainstay so it would not infringe Dave's SP patent
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Members who have read this thread: 0