Is this sort of wear unusual on magnesium lowers?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005

Is this sort of wear unusual on magnesium lowers?

I found a 3 mm deep divot in one of the dropouts on my Manitou Super magnesium fork lowers, where the quick release serrations go. Is this typical for most magnesium fork lowers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer
    I found a 3 mm deep divot in one of the dropouts on my Manitou Super magnesium fork lowers, where the quick release serrations go. Is this typical for most magnesium fork lowers?
    Magnesium can corrode pretty quickly. If the quick release has removed the paint from the magnesium, corrosion can quickly create the divot you're talking about. Is there a white powdery substance in the divot?

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    Magnesium can corrode pretty quickly. If the quick release has removed the paint from the magnesium, corrosion can quickly create the divot you're talking about. Is there a white powdery substance in the divot?
    No but instead of divot perhaps a 3mm semihemispherical hole right next to the dropout is more accurate.
    From one angle

From a different angle

You might be able to see a deep erosion divot on one side where the quick release nut contacts the dropout and a deep but narrow erosion just where the quick release contacts the dropout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer
    No but instead of divot perhaps a 3mm semihemispherical hole right next to the dropout is more accurate.
    From one angle

From a different angle

You might be able to see a deep erosion divot on one side where the quick release nut contacts the dropout and a deep but narrow erosion just where the quick release contacts the dropout.
    Bent skewer or axle?

Members who have read this thread: 0