SKF versus Fox OE wiper seals-long term results- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

SKF versus Fox OE wiper seals-long term results

Any feedback on long term use of the SKF green seals versus Fox OE?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    ive just serviced my friends 34's that i fitted some green skf seals into this time last year.

The have been ridden in the Uk for a full year - so thats muddy 80% of the time.
    They had no sign of dirt under the seals at all, the seal pocket still had grease in.

That in my book makes them pretty good

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The SKF seals used to be quite a bit more expensive than OE, but it seems like SKF has quietly dropped the price more recently. They seem nicely made and I trust just about everything that SKF does, so I am giving them a shot on my 36 RC2. They seem just about the same as Fox OE in terms of friction, but I'm hoping they keep more grit out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    For the difference in price of 'Fox original' (made by SKF) or the green ones, I prefer the green ones.

Using them since they cost almost double and never went to stock ones (and my forks went thru Fox service and warranty without any kind of fuss about them).

mtbr member
    SKF is currently making the vast majority of seals for forks. RS, Fox OEM supplier.

The amount of molybdenum in the seal gives it that smooth feel. I have heard reports that Fox orders the lowest amount possible with the tightest fit. This gives you the lowest-cost seal with the most friction. I understand why they do it.

The SKF seals are more expensive because they have less drag (more moly) but still maintain that tight fit.

I was told by the US distributor of SKF seals that there is no difference between OE Fox and the green SKF. Our experience (and someone else's dyno) back that up.

I would say that the SKF seals last at least as long as anything OEM, if not longer.

Unless people demand it, we ALWAYS use the SKF units for Fox, RS and Ohlins.

Word on the street is that PUSH seals follow the SKF-green formula of maximum smooth and tight (for less $$, if I'm not mistaken)...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post

I was told by the US distributor of SKF seals that there is no difference between OE Fox and the green SKF. Our experience (and someone else's dyno) back that up.

mk
    So the green skf units have more molybdenum so less drag in theory, but they perform the same as fox oe in reality?
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    I would say that the Fox seals don't work as well as the SKF-green units. Maybe the same in terms of sealing, but the OEM Fox units aren't as slick.

Keeping up with service intervals (whatever is right for your conditions) is the most important, I would say. Green seals and a dry fork are going to feel bad.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    I would say that the Fox seals don't work as well as the SKF-green units. Maybe the same in terms of sealing, but the OEM Fox units aren't as slick.

Keeping up with service intervals (whatever is right for your conditions) is the most important, I would say. Green seals and a dry fork are going to feel bad.

mk
    Thank you
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I like push seals the best followed by SKF and stock.
    Push ones have a thinner top lip that is easier to clean and also have the shoulder so they install perfectly square. Getting the stock seals perfectly square, even with a seal driver can be a pain in the ass.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    We've had great luck with the greens. I feel they do hold up a little better than the oem, but it's hard to quantify. One difference most people don't talk about is the foam rings. It seems the fox oem foams soak up & hold the bath oil a little better, but again this may just be perception. As trailbildr says, keep up on the service to get the longest life.