Skareb, Reba, or Sid?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm Skareb, Reba, or Sid?

Need a new fork. I am riding a 2002 Giant NRS1.
    My year 2000 RS 80mm Sid XC is shot.
    I race XC, am 44 years old and 150 lbs.
    I like the Skareb Platinum's handlebar mounted IT feature and SPV, the Reba's adjustability and U Turn feature and the lightness and poploc of the Sid.
    I have not demoed any of these.
    Do I go 80mm and light with a new Sid? 100mm with on the fly adjustability of the Skareb Platinum? Or lots of features and adjustments, but 3.77 lbs for a Reba Team U Turn?
    Do I wait for an R Seven?
    Thanks,
    Rod

Jan 2004
    in my opinion, having the U-turn feature on the NRS is somewhat pointless. You wouldnt want to go higher then 100mm of travel because you're going to slow down the steering of your NRS, and seeing is how its a race bike, that would defeat the purpose of it.
    I would still go with a reba, just without the u-turn, the team air without u-turn is around 3.44 Lbs, which is pretty good considering its going to be alot more adjustable then the other forks, and stiffer as well.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by RodC
    I like the Skareb Platinum's handlebar mounted IT feature and SPV, the Reba's adjustability and U Turn feature and the lightness and poploc of the Sid.
    Do I go 80mm and light with a new Sid? 100mm with on the fly adjustability of the Skareb Platinum? Or lots of features and adjustments, but 3.77 lbs for a Reba Team U Turn?
    Thanks,
    Rod
    I own an NRS and highly recommend the Fox F80RLT. I believe it clocks in around 3.2 lbs.

I've ridden the Manitou and RS and the Fox blows both of them away in terms of stiffness. The Fox has 32mm stanchions whereas the Sid has wimpy 28mm and the Skareb has 30mm. With the Fox the wheel stays pointed where you want to go, even in the rough stuff -- very comforting to know that you can smash through rock gardens and still have control of the bike. With the SID the front end is like a noodle, and with the Skareb it is not that much better. Try it - go hit a trail hard with a Fox and then ride some other wimpy POS and you will immediately notice the difference. 32mm stanchions rule.

The Reba has 32mm stanchions and should be as strong as the Fox, but it weighs more. Plus it really isn't a "race fork" - more of an all-mtn fork.

My Fox is almost 2 years old and has never had any problems. I brought it in for service last month "just because" and the shop told me all I needed was an oil change and a cleaning - $28. That's the first maintenance I have ever done with that fork! You'll never get that kind of reliability and durability from an RS, Manitou, or Marzocchi.

Personally I would stick with an 80mm fork on the NRS. Going to 100mm will add a few degrees to the steering angle, thus slowing the handling of the bike noticeably. If you are riding agressive XC or racing, you really don't need 100mm.

The only downside of the Fox RLT forks is cost. They are like $800 new, but worth every penny IMHO.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    My Reba Team was stiffer than my Fox Talas 2005 and had better build quality. The Talas failed in a month (creaking crown). Reba is also more adjustable.

I'd suggest you to buy a 2006 Reba World Cup that has a carbon crown and steerer. It's a very light, stiff and adjustable fork for a very nice price when compared to Fox F80.

Forget the SID and Manitou and go for the Reba WC..

Quote Originally Posted by plussa
    My Reba Team was stiffer than my Fox Talas 2005 and had better build quality. The Talas failed in a month (creaking crown). Reba is also more adjustable.

I'd suggest you to buy a 2006 Reba World Cup that has a carbon crown and steerer. It's a very light, stiff and adjustable fork for a very nice price when compared to Fox F80.

Forget the SID and Manitou and go for the Reba WC..
    Rebas are definitely great forks, but the problem this poster will have with a Reba is the fork height. You have to consider the bike when making recommendations on forks. The Giant NRS has a geometry that was designed around an 80mm fork (which really means the geometry is set up to accommodate a fork of a certain height). The stock steer tube angle is 70/71 (depending on frame size) with an 80mm fork. Since 100mm forks are about 1 inch taller than an 80mm, putting a 100mm fork on this bike will "chopper" out the front end, thus slackening the steer tube angle 1/2-1 degree and slowing down the steering. This is never a desired effect when you are using the bike for XC racing.

I highly recommend an 80mm fork on the NRS, which unfortunately limits your choices. In an 80mm fork I think you should get a Fox F80 *or* wait for the new Manitou R7. Forget the Sid and Skareb.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Rebas are definitely great forks, but the problem this poster will have with a Reba is the fork height.
    With two spacers, the 26" Reba Dual Air is 85 mm. Or you can get it to the same riding height, or whichever height you desire, by just adjusting the negative pressure. As on all dual air forks.

Quote Originally Posted by anden
    With two spacers, the 26" Reba Dual Air is 85 mm. Or you can get it to the same riding height, or whichever height you desire, by just adjusting the negative pressure. As on all dual air forks.
    A friend of mine has a Reba Dual Air adjusted down to 85mm, and it's still taller than the 80mm SID it replaced. I'm not sure if this holds true for all 80mm forks, so it's something the poster should really look into before deciding.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Out of those choices, I recommend the rockshox reba. the stiffest and best quailty travel.

Quote Originally Posted by RodC
    Thanks,
    Rod

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Reba SL 100mm works fine for me on an 04 NRS. I previously had an 02 NRS with an 80mm Judy, and I really don´t feel any difference in the handling from the extra 20 mm. However, the fork sure performs a lot better - I ride XC, fire roads and marathons. I´m using the same length stem as before, 105 mm, but I now have the seat further forward.