Skareb Comp vs '00 SXR - Will I feel difference?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Skareb Comp vs '00 SXR - Will I feel difference?

Fork is oldest part of my Voodoo hardtail. Has about 8,000 miles on, had service on it about 3-4 times. I'm cheap and can't see spending $$$ on fork. Seeing the Skareb comp for less than $150 grabbed my interest.

Obviously the technology has improved in the last five years, will I really notice the difference ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The Comp used a different dampining and spring system than the other Manitou forks and was made for only one year. Pick up a used Elite or Super from ebay for $150, much better, or Jenson has the Super brand new for $229. Either the Elite or Super will be a big step up from the SXR.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

dunno how much difference you'll actually "notice" - granted, technology has marched onward, and the skareb's must be an "improvement"... but am still running my '01 SX-R here (with a couple rebuilds and enduro seals), and it does all I could ask of a xc fork at a reasonable weight. Some day, one day, my cheapskate arse will upgrade to something better, but....it pains me to "fix what ain't broke", and all

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Comp? I don't think so and the reason is...

that since the Skareb is a discontinued Manitou product most of their models are being discounted bigtime. Don't settle for the Comp. I've got a 2004 Elite on one bike and a 2005 Super on another and I love them both. The lockout on the Super comes in handy when I need to hammer on a flat section or paved road. Find a 2005 Skareb Super on sale--check all around the internet--(you don't need IT or handlebar-mounted lockout) and buy it. Light and plush. You won't believe how much nicer it is than your current fork.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    dunno how much difference you'll actually "notice" - granted, technology has marched onward, and the skareb's must be an "improvement"... but am still running my '01 SX-R here (with a couple rebuilds and enduro seals), and it does all I could ask of a xc fork at a reasonable weight. Some day, one day, my cheapskate arse will upgrade to something better, but....it pains me to "fix what ain't broke", and all
    I've had both--SX-R and Skareb Super. Loved the SX-R until I got the Skareb. Oil bath vs. grease lubed is night and day. Just be sure and get the right "ride kit" for the Skareb if you get one. You need the right coil for the coil/air spring for the initial small bump compliance and then you can adjust the air for the remaining travel. You don't have to worry about dependability in going from coil to air, either (one of my initial worries). My Skareb has never lost air. Huge difference in plushness between the two forks. Anyway, sorry to jump in and do the devil's work, but it's true.

Members who have read this thread: 0