simple forks for simple-minded riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

simple forks for simple-minded riders

I have been riding a rigid single-speed for years, mostly because I like the mechanical simplicity of this setup. i have been trying to get used to a Tower Pro 80-100mm fork but the tuning options are way over my head and I don't think I have the patience to figure it out. It's a very impressive feat of engineering but it's not for me. I know some of you folks love all that tuning and custom stuff, but it's not fun for me. I have gone OTB a few times with it, something that rarely happens with my rigid setup, and I never had that problem with my old Reba. I could probably figure out how to tune it to my riding and size, but I would rather spend that time riding.

It seems like a a lot these forks are marketed to people who think all the options are cool but will never use the features, and techie guys who really will use them. where are the forks for people who are too dumb to figure out all those features but smart enough to know they will never use them anyways?

Is there is simpler fork that does not seem to require a formal education in mechanical engineering (sorry, I guess I am a quitter when the going gets tough), but is still reasonably light for a lightweight XC rider? I might even consider a coil fork and the weight penalty that comes with it if it means it works right out of the box with a few minor adjustments.

X-Fusion Slide RL2?
    Rockshox Reba solo air?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How can a suspension fork be simpler than a Tower Pro? Just put enough air in it that you get 10-15% sag (10-15mm if you have 100mm travel), and set the rebound as fast as you tolerate without it bouncing back when you hit a root etc. Any other fork is going to be the same. A coil fork might work better for you, but then you have to open the fork up and change springs if the spring rate is wrong for you.

Solo Air is a better performing spring system than the Manitou spring, but it's no easier to set up.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Rigid forks are simple and light.

Forks should have setup guides, if they do not, don't buy from that manufacturer and force them to change.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What model Reba did you previously use? You might want a newer version of the same travel. I had a Tower Pro and though I am familiar w/ suspension tuning I didn't like the very linear feel of this fork. I currently run a Tower Expert and am quite happy w/ the performance. Still the expert may require a spring change for rider weight. Single fill air forks are simple, in the fact, you add air to one chamber to adjust the spring rate...All is well if the volume suits your weight and riding style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    im looking at getting some new rockshox, what could someone recomend to be the best out of the xc 28, xc30 tk, and the xc32 tk?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by speyers View Post
    im looking at getting some new rockshox, what could someone recomend to be the best out of the xc 28, xc30 tk, and the xc32 tk?
    Those numbers are the stanchion dimension so 32 is the largest and least flexy.
    But you may want to consider fork weight with other options 1.5lbs or more lighter. You can also go to 15mm axle and tapered steerer tube in some cases. Not so simple.

mtbr member
    and the XC 32 has a coil or air spring option.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    This is just my own opinion, my Terralogic is pretty simple. I set sag to 25%, did a little baseline adjustments with the rebound, set Terralogic to 3, and then adjusted the rebound out on the trail over a few rides. It's been practically set and forget for me. I only check the sag every ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    This is just my own opinion, my Terralogic is pretty simple. I set sag to 25%, did a little baseline adjustments with the rebound, set Terralogic to 3, and then adjusted the rebound out on the trail over a few rides. It's been practically set and forget for me. I only check the sag every ride.
    This is the info that makes the difference and makes a fork simple. Or so it would seem. The problem is ride style. Everybody can be 180* different from another rider.
    My fork is , for my light finesse style through heavy rocky rooty sections, the opposite of a Terralogic in aim. I have a medium spring in my Tower Pro that puts small bump compliance as my number 1 in importance aim. I weigh 175 and set the air portion at 95psi. I have removed the 19mm platform shim from the stack. I live with a little bob when climbing hardpack I would never have with the Terralogic in exchange for climbing bump compliance the Terralogic lacks.

I'm getting more shim sizes to play with the compression circuit and that is not the simple you want. But I think it's fun so I don't mind.

mtbr member
    Terralogic is exactly what this set and forget is supposed to be about.

That said, Fox CTD is pretty damn easy as well. The only thing hard about Manitou Tower/Minute is setting your sag properly through a combination of using the right spring and using enough air. HINT: if you aren't near what the fork leg says for air, then you probably (but not certainly ) have the wrong spring.

After you've done that, you just turn the damn ABS+ knob. If you brake hard and/or pedal hard, you need more clicks. If you want maximum plushness on small bumps, fewer clicks.

Don't even think about getting a longer travel bike with a 3 or 4 way adjustable suspension.