SID WC - Cracked Steerer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SID WC - Cracked Steerer

So....I went to swap the stem on my Anthem today, and upon taking the old stem off, I realize the top of the carbon steerer tube has a crack in it, and the carbon is badly enough compromised that I can push in the tube enough for it to move visibly...

Has anyone heard of this being a issue with the '08 Sid World Cups? Do you think Sram will warantee it? If not, is there any chance of repair? I really don't think I tightened the stem bolts THAT much, and I do not do extreme riding, and I only weigh 155 or so lbs....
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    personally i would NEVER trust a carbon steerer (or more to the point carbon anything) best bet would be contacting sram as you said, because as far as im aware once carbon is cracked, its a write off....

MTBR Member
    Are you sure it has a carbon steerer? I didn't think the '08 Sid WCs were available with carbon steerer tubes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    personally i would NEVER trust a carbon steerer (or more to the point carbon anything) best bet would be contacting sram as you said, because as far as im aware once carbon is cracked, its a write off....
    I trust carbon. I just don't trust ultra-lightweight stuff like SIDs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    The '09s dropped the carbon steerer...hmm, wonder why!
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

MTBR Member
    Yeah, that just seems like not the best place to use carbon.

Hopefully, RS will work with you on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I like carbon, but not when it is at a crucial structural position between my teeth and rocks.

Oct 2005
    The old Manitou tried Carbon steerers in 2000, and that failed when they found out that the steerers were breaking. In response to a safety recall, they had to insert plugs in there to reinforce them.

Maybe it can work, but not when we're so demanding about weight reduction. Speak to SRAM about it, replace it with the AL version, if you're game. Do not ride on it anymore.

mtbr member
    It does seem like a really stupid place to use carbon - what does it save over Aluminum, 30 grams? I wonder how many others have cracked their Sid WCs....imagine if I didn't happen to swap the stem and never noticed it...it would have failed catastrophically and I could have been seriously injured.

Plan to call Sram/Rock Shox later today, I hope they work with me on it...
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

xx = xtrČ
    call SRAM, this is probably a known issue since my 09 WC came with an aluminium sterrer tube. At least it didn't break on the trail at 20 mph.

mtbr member
    Talked to Sram, she said they haven't seen any large number of steerer failures w/ the World Cup...she also said she couldn't help me since I was not the original owner. The MTBR member I purchased the bike from said she does not have the original purchase paperwork.

Upon looking at it a bit more closely last night, I think I may be able to have a shop cut off the very top of the tube (where the crack is), and just take off a couple spacers. I hope that doesn't leave me w/ too low of a handlebar height...I will have to see what the suspension tech. at the shop suggests upon seeing it...I'll post pics when I get my hands on a decent camera.
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    After numerous projects using carbon I can safely say that it is very strong and very light. It will and always has beem a premiere product. The fact this comes about points to a few issues. First carbons shear load capability is nearly four times that of alloy.So it is ideal for a steerer tube. Memory is near non existent. Second carbons yield is not very high resulting in compression fractures due to overtightening and failure to use a compression wedge.

mtbr member
    Compression wedge? Is there a different one needed for carbon steerer forks?
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No just use the link I provided the good ones for carbon have a knurled expansion section (meaning they have a portion of the sleeve that expands outwards rolled in a bumpy surface) small grippers think of it that way.

Members who have read this thread: 1