Shock reccomendation for 2019 RIP9 rdo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Shock reccomendation for 2019 RIP9 rdo

I am 6'4", 275. The bike I ordered comes with a Fox Float DPS Performance 3 position. Will that shock handle my weight? If you say no, any reccomendation to swap to?

Short-Change-Hero
    At 275 you are in clyde territory so most shocks are going to have a hard time keeping up with you, especially if you are an aggressive rider. Most will say, go with coil, as that will be a bit more forgiving for your weight class. However, I say give the shock a good amount of rides and see what you think of it. Realize that there are spacers and whatnot that MAY need to be installed/removed to make the bike ride the way you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    At 275 you are in clyde territory so most shocks are going to have a hard time keeping up with you, especially if you are an aggressive rider. Most will say, go with coil, as that will be a bit more forgiving for your weight class. However, I say give the shock a good amount of rides and see what you think of it. Realize that there are spacers and whatnot that MAY need to be installed/removed to make the bike ride the way you want.
    I plan on giving the stock shock a chance (my first full suspension bike so I don't know what I don't know). Any suggestions on a coil shock to look at? Looking for something that's reliable and won't be overwhelmed. I've heard good things about manitous shocks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Finding a coil spring strong enough is going to be the deciding factor on what model of coil shock you can use. Go use a spring calculator like https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator to get in the ballpark for your spring rate, then see if the shock will take it.

Ideally, you would order a frame that has a low leverage ratio and that is progressive, those would set up well to take a coil shock. The frame actually does look pretty progressive: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hVrUB1m5f...7_LevRatio.gif so that is one thing that will be helping. It hopefully has a low enough leverage ratio.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Underskilled
    Not sure if relevant to the modern frames, but my old RIP9 & WFO9 were tuned appallingly for a Clyde. Their damping tune is so soft I'd bottom out rolling a curb.

Stock tunes will suck for you (I'm ex-clyde now and still need to custom tune)

The problems went away when I went for a manitou or cane creek shock.

You need something you can tune, or get tuned.

There is a Clyde group on here too. Might be worth asking their too

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I was able to order the bike with the Fox 36 Float factory and float dpx2 factory Evol. According to the fox website I should be able to make the shock work for my weight. The demo I rode had the same shock and I was able to get it fairly dialed for the 14 mile ride I was able to take it on. As someone else suggested I am going to start with the supplied suspension. If I can't get it dialed to my liking I will make the switch to coil. Thank you for the input everyone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Off topic but has anyone tried running 2.5 tires on i45 rims? I have a set of carbon rims with hydra hubs that I'm tempted try out with the stock 2.5 dhf front 2.5 aggressor rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Finding a coil spring strong enough is going to be the deciding factor on what model of coil shock you can use. Go use a spring calculator like https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator to get in the ballpark for your spring rate, then see if the shock will take it.

Ideally, you would order a frame that has a low leverage ratio and that is progressive, those would set up well to take a coil shock. The frame actually does look pretty progressive: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hVrUB1m5f...7_LevRatio.gif so that is one thing that will be helping. It hopefully has a low enough leverage ratio.
    For what it's worth Niners website says the leverage ratio starts at 3 and ends at 2.3 for an average of 2.55. No idea what that means. The demo I rode felt good, but again I don't know what I don't know. I've only ever ridding steel hardtails, usually rigid. Finally broke down and put a 120 yari on my Krampus this year.