Shock Leaking Oil- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Shock Leaking Oil

How bad is it for a shock (‘03 Rock Shox Pilot) to have a slight oil leak at the top seal? Does it need to be fixed now, or could a person continue to ride it 6 months to a year or more, without causing damage to the shock?

One shop says the shock is blown and it will cost $200 to send it back to Rock Shox for a rebuild or $300 to replace it. Another shop told me they called Rock Shox and was told that a seal kit should fix this problem and it was common for a shock of this age. This shop estimates it will cost $25 for parts and around $45 for labor. This shop also said it was fine ride as is for a while.

What do you think I should do being on a tight budget?

Old man on a bike
    Sounds like you're the other end of the transaction of the "Sold Bike - Buyer Unhappy" thread in General started by, wait, it's the same poster. WTF? Playing both ends of the story?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Sounds like you're the other end of the transaction of the "Sold Bike - Buyer Unhappy" thread in General started by, wait, it's the same poster. WTF? Playing both ends of the story?
    Yes, I am the same poster of the "Sold Bike - Buyer Unhappy". I did sell the bike mentioned in my post under General Discussions and I am just trying to get an answer directly to the shock issue here on rather or not the seals must be replaced, or if it is OK keep riding as is. I plan to get back to the buyer with what I learn here and and share this with the buyer.

After getting answers in both forums I plan to send links to the buyer, so he can see how other cyclist feel about these issues/problems. I guess I am playing both ends here and I hope you understand why. I am truly just trying to figure out how to deal with an unhappy buyer and do the right thing.

Old man on a bike
    Okay, I can understand that. I personally wouldn't just keep riding it, I'd take it apart and figure out what's going on and replace seals if necessary, but that's me. It shouldn't hurt to ride it for a while and keep an eye on the leakage (hard to say how much it's leaking now, posting pics might be helpful); if it gets progressively worse in several rides then get the work done....it's just normal wear and tear when it comes to shocks...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Members who have read this thread: 0