shock hardware removal- Mtbr.com

May 2009

shock hardware removal

Hey guys,

got a (should be) easy question...

I'm switching shocks on a '01 Specialized Enduro. They are both 1/2"diameter eyes on the shocks...

on the old shock, the hardware that attaches the shock to the frame (not the linkage end), seems to be difficult to remove. (in fact, i'm not sure if i know how)

i've tried twisting the hardware, and can get just one side to rotate, so i know the two pieces are separate.. but i'm a little nervous about harming the hardware, so i haven't gone much farther..

what is the best way to remove the hardware from an old shock?

any thoughts anyone? is is specific to the shock? the frame?(i would guess the frame)

thanks!

May 2009

SHock

I guess i should mention the new one is a Fox Vanill R, and the old one (while unnamed).. seems to be a Fox shock... (same as the Vanilla R)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You probably have the "top hat" style reducers in your shock. You are right; they can be difficult to remove.

One way of doing it is to grab them with a pair of pliers and slowly twist back and forth while pulling outward. The pliers will, in all likelihood, mar the outside of the reducer. It won't look nice, but this part of the reducer is pretty much cosmetic, so the marring isn't that big a deal.

If you want to remove the reducer with minimal marring, go to your local hardware store and purchase a bronze bearing with an inside diameter of 5/8". This bearing will resemble a very short section of pipe. You want the bearing to be just big enough to fit around the reducer. Then, cut a longitudinal slit in the bearing. Place it over the reducer and grip with a pair of curved jawed vice grips. Twist back and forth while pulling outward. The reducer will come out with little or no damage to the outside surface.

I have also heard of screw extractors being used to remove the reducer. I'm not fond of this method though because it damages the hole through which you place the mounting bolt. In my opinion, it is far better, though not as pretty, to mar the outside of the reducer.

mtbr member
    You can call fox and get a new set for about ten bucks. That way you can leave them in the old shock.

Members who have read this thread: 0