Which shock is best for my weight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New question here. Which shock is best for my weight?

I weight is 190 lbs. and I want to upgrade my Yukon HT that has a Manitou Six Sport. I need a fork that is 80mm and I don't want to pay anymore than $300. I XC on Fire roads and single track and want a Fork light weight but be able to withstand my weight. I like the Manitou Skareb Super. Has anyone have any experience with this fork at 190 lbs? My other choice would be a Reba at 85mm if I can find it.

mtbr platinum member
    I would go for a Reba SL. They are internally adjustable to 85mm, so that won't be a problem. Price Point has them for like $289. I'd steer clear of any Manitou products, but that's just me. The Motion Control damping on the Reba is top notch and the 32mm stanchions will prevent any flex under your weight. Go for it- you'll love it!
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Would a MX Comp 80mm be another good choice? Does anyone out there know the true weight of a 2005 MX Comp 80mm and have experience with it?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by godingdc
    Would a MX Comp 80mm be another good choice? Does anyone out there know the true weight of a 2005 MX Comp 80mm and have experience with it?
    MX comp is a good choice, but inferior to the REBA. It is flexier and the damper is far inferior at high speed. Marathon is a better choice, still a bit flexier than REBA, but the damper is top notch. I would also recommend staying away from Manitou. Used Fox is also a good option, but I would go with the REBA.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

I like to ride my bike.

Wink REB A+ Scare B-

Reba, $260 at wheelworld.com. People this has been discussed 50 times already, look at the clyde forum, or older forums. PS 190 ain't fat, Reba will do fine.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Members who have read this thread: 0