Servicing FOX Rhythm 34- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Servicing FOX Rhythm 34

Hi,

I've got a Rhythm 34 on a Giant Trance 2, it's due for a service and I've decided to learn to do it myself. No plans to mess with the internals, just a lowers service.

I've watched the GMBN video with the Fox dude doing a service (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxma5WJEZiI) and I'm fine with the procedure, but I just want to triple-check something.. punching in the 4-digit code to the Fox site gives me this volume chart: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=884

Can someone more in-the-know than I am please confirm that in a lowers service on a Rhythm 34 I am putting:

a) 10ml of 20wt regular oil in the air-shaft side (the LEFT side when sitting on the bike and looking down)
    b) 40ml of 5wt teflon oil in the damper side (the RIGHT side when sitting on the bike and looking down)
    c) NO oil in the air chamber (chart lists 3ml but this isn't done in a lowers service, right?)

Is that correct? The 3ml air chamber listing isn't mentioned in any of the videos I've watched, it's thrown me a little bit..

Thankyou

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    SO I've just watched this VERY in-depth video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4TH01UqEps

And it seems servicing the air shaft is easy as, so I might as well do that too. What it doesn't cover though is the 3ml oil listed in the volume chart... where is that supposed to go? Does it just get squirted into the upper before the air shaft is put back in?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    3 ml goes in the air side--I do this last usually--before you put in the cap using that 27MM socket--just before I pump the fork back up----but for sure after the air shaft is back in

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hrm the video I have (the second post above) shows the air shaft assembly being removed and re-greased without taking the top cap off.. I wasn't planning on removing that cap, since the hex 'nut' part of it is so thin I can see myself slipping and scratching something lol

Am I just trying to get that 3ml into the positive air chamber? Could I take the core out of the schrader valve once the air shaft is back in and just get it in that way?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I would do the entire job not most of it-----just go tom lowes and buy a socket and then grind it flat then there is no issue---yes if you leave the socket champered you risk slipping---may as well do it with this service----my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    I would do the entire job not most of it-----just go tom lowes and buy a socket and then grind it flat then there is no issue---yes if you leave the socket champered you risk slipping---may as well do it with this service----my 2 cents
    In the second video I posted the air shaft is removed from the bottom of the fork and the 26mm top nut is not removed during the service... what is the purpose of removing the top nut? If it's just to get the 3ml of oil in there, wouldn't I achieve the same thing by pulling the valve core and injecting it there (with the air shaft back in place)?

Or is there something I'm still missing? I don't mind pulling that nut out if I need to (already have the chamferless socket), but I won't mess with it if it doesn't need to come out.

Thanks