Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose

A year ago (May 2016) I bought a new Intense Tracer T275A frame along with Cane Creek DB Air CS shock. Just recently I discovered that one of the bushings is worn out. I started the replacement process.

I removed the old bushing and I measured it's size to be 14,7-14,8mm. I ordered a new bushing part NR BAD0588. When it was delivered to my surprise the bushing slid to the shock's eye with my finger. Without any help from a vise. So most definitely a bad situation because the bushing has to fit into the shock with quite a lot of friction to prevent any movement. I measured the size of the new bushing and it was just slightly smaller - 14,65.

I measured the size of the shock's eye to be 14,7-14,75mm.

I thought that this was some manufacturing problem so I ordered the bushing from another shop. It came but the problem was exactly the same . The bushing came right into the shock's eye with my finger.

I contacted Cane Creek and was talking to Joseph Grimes who is Retail Services Representative and then Sam Anderson who is a Product Manager but no luck. To be honest it seems as if they didn't have time to analyze the problem and they pushed the responsibility to the German dealer and then the dealer pushed it to my local shop in Munich :/ :/ :/. What a bummer.

The serial NR of my shock is KB00283.

If anybody had similar problems with loose bushing in your Cane Creek DB Air CS and was able to resolve it please help. Or am I doing something completely wrong here?

In next couple of months when the old bushing will totally fail I will be forced to sell the shock as it will be completely useless. So I could really use some help here.

Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-1-newbushing1.jpg
    Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-1-newbushing2.jpg
    Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-1-newbushingpackage.jpg
    Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-1-newbushing3.jpgSerious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-2-oldbushing2.jpgSerious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-2-oldbushing1.jpg
    Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-2-oldbushing3.jpg
    Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-3-oldandnew1.jpg
    Serious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-3-oldandnew2.jpgSerious problem with Cane Creek DB Air CS bushing size - 14,7mm bushing too loose-4-shockeye.jpg

mtbr member
    The 14.7mm DU I have here measure ~14.78mm uninstalled. The 16mm ones I have measure 16.03-16.05 which is expected.

So it would appear the issue is the bushings, rather than your shock.

Short term I would use loctite retaining compound to retain the bushing while you get the issue sorted with CC.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This is also my theory. That they have a problem with manufacturing process and bushings that came to German market are not within tolerances.

Retaining compound is an idea. Just by accident I ordered recently Loctite 641 to install new bearings into the frame. It should be suitable also for this purpose. I am still slightly skeptical about using it. I mean will it really do it's job when the bushing fits so loosely into the shock.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi,
    Did you managed to fix the problem? Or did you get new ones with proper fitting

I have the same problem for my ccdb air cs, ordered a pair of bushing which did slides into shocks eyes just by pushing with fingers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by payze View Post
    Hi,
    Did you managed to fix the problem? Or did you get new ones with proper fitting

I have the same problem for my ccdb air cs, ordered a pair of bushing which did slides into shocks eyes just by pushing with fingers
    I solved the problem. I bought the whole system from: "huber-bushings.com". The replacement bushings for it are much cheaper than original bushings. The initial investment in the shock hardware is pretty high though (around 40EUR ). It also works much much better and lasts longer. So win win.

Forget about Cane Creek. I contacted everybody who is accessible for an average Joe. Long story short - they didn't help me. But it worked much better for me in the end. Original Cane Creek bushings are so short lived that it was just pain in the a...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thank you, i also found this:https://www.ti-springs.com/product/p...yelet-bushings
    Itlooks like i had these kind of bushing on my CCDB (it's a second hand shock) the bushing was not at all made of metal unlike the original ones.

So this is maybe another soltuion, these might work too, and also cheaper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It's definitely worth a try.