Scuffed Stanchion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Scuffed Stanchion

Tipped over in Pisgah today and scuffed/gouged my Fox 36 Kashima stanchion. Submitted a service request form on the Fox website to explore my options but am wondering how big a deal it is.. My main concern would be it being deep enough to either start to rust or also let dust and such travel past the wiper seal over time. For reference it's on the damper side. Has anybody else had a scratch this significant and let it be? It's a 2018 fork with the grip2 damper upgrade recently and I'm not feeling parting with another $1k to replace it. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scuffed Stanchion-img_1790.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sucks but really it's not a big deal. I've used a small flat 1/4 " finishing file to remove any burs. Once it's smooth to the touch you're good to go. (Harbor freight sells em cheap, a light touch is best, better to have more strokes than take off to much & a file only works on one direction)

Still going to be ugly, but shouldn't effect performance at all.

It'll just be staring at you as a reminder of your clumsiness. I know mine does.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Shouldn't matter much unless you start losing air. I've used fine grit sandpaper, 220 range, to knock down the edges. Some put clear nail polish on it to fill in the gaps, then sand it down.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    Shouldn't matter much unless you start losing air.
    If you start losing air it means your shit was already ****ed up.

So long as the stanchion damage isn't harming the lowers seals (which are pretty rudimentary), no problem. Chop off the raised bits with a razor, then tidy it up with scotch brite or whatever.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    deleted
    Last edited by fresh tracks; 09-14-2019 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the replies! That's what I figured I just wanted some opinions. The wiper seals definitely aren't in charge of retaining any air plus the scuff in question is on the damper side anyway. I hate looking at it but I'll get it smooth and consider it a battle scar I guess

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Won't rust because they're made of aluminum. You won't lose air because that's the damper side. You're good.
    Intense 951 Evo and Santa Cruz Megatower

mtbr member
    You won't loose air due to a scratched stanchion, even on the air spring side, because the air spring is inside the stanchion, not the outside.

Carefully remove any raised edges if any and forget about it.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    From pic it appears to be minor but if you run your hand over it and feel burrs you should carefully dress it up. Avoid scuffing off any coating around the damaged areas. Oh...and alu won't rust. Wear it proud! It's part of having a bike that gets ridden!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Fun fact it's now causing a bath oil leak up past the wiper seal. A couple of the gouges are pretty deep but the whole thing is pretty smooth to the touch with no burrs. My guess it that it's a combination of oil being transported past the wiper in the gouges as well as the initial burrs that probably existed as I finished the ride initially messed up the wiper seal enough to make it leak oil. That said if oil can come out then dirt can go in so I'm just going to break it down again and throw on a new stanchion/crown/steerer assembly and call it a day. I could just redo the seals/oil but at this point I'd rather just have it apart once and take care of it all since I had it apart less than 20 hours ago doing seals and installing the grip 2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Another great use for Kashima coat!!