Scratched Stanchion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Scratched Stanchion

First time poster (?).

Is there any fix to a scratched stanchion?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman1
    First time poster (?).

Is there any fix to a scratched stanchion?
    clear nail polish and very fine sand paper should work but if it's not affecting the seals such that excess oil makes its way out, just leave it alone.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    May 2005

scratched or gouged?

for minor scratches heavy duty clear nail polish works nicely. The stuff that a manicurist uses is what you want. dab it on, then after it dries buff it out with super fine grit sand paper... does not last forever but its quick, easy and lots cheaper than a new stanction.....

Lay off the Levers
    I thought I read someone suggesting JB weld. Does anyone know if this will do the job long term?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

It's a scratch

First of all, thanks to both of you.

What happened is that the inner spring of the seal came off and contacted the stanchion. The scratch is perfectly straight, about 1/2 of a mm wide and about 3 inches long. I love the fork and don't have the cabbage to cough up enough for a new one. And yes, it's directly above the disc brake, and yes, if you hear a horrible howl in central PA, it's me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I heard that as well, but the stuff is hard as a rock. It would need some very precise work and diamond files.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I thought I read someone suggesting JB weld. Does anyone know if this will do the job long term?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman1
    First of all, thanks to both of you.

What happened is that the inner spring of the seal came off and contacted the stanchion. The scratch is perfectly straight, about 1/2 of a mm wide and about 3 inches long. I love the fork and don't have the cabbage to cough up enough for a new one. And yes, it's directly above the disc brake, and yes, if you hear a horrible howl in central PA, it's me.
    I reckon it's not longer under warranty; right? 0.5mm x 3" is pretty big. Is oil coming out of it?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, it leaks pretty bad. I plan on rebuilding it, attempt the nail polish fix, and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I reckon it's not longer under warranty; right? 0.5mm x 3" is pretty big. Is oil coming out of it?

Meh.
    As suggested, nail polish or super glue, followed by a very fine grit sandpaper. I know a guy that used JB Weld on his Sherman. The color is kindof off, but is otherwise perfect. Took a while to get the thing perfectly filled and smooth.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Whatever you use to seal the scratch, let it dry very thoughly.

I would use the finest sandpaper you can find and seriously take your time. Try to only sand the effected area. An fine emery board might work well.

If it takes two hours to do it right... spend the two hours. You only get out of it what you put in. Sucks the damage takes an instant and the fix can seem like it takes ages.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the input....

Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Whatever you use to seal the scratch, let it dry very thoughly.

I would use the finest sandpaper you can find and seriously take your time. Try to only sand the effected area. An fine emery board might work well.

If it takes two hours to do it right... spend the two hours. You only get out of it what you put in. Sucks the damage takes an instant and the fix can seem like it takes ages.

Members who have read this thread: 0